The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barrel Racing (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/)
-   -   Had a little talk with my farrier. (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/had-little-talk-my-farrier-156749/)

SorrelHorse 03-18-2013 05:44 AM

Had a little talk with my farrier.

So we recently switched farriers because under the one we used previously, Selena's overreaching problem got worse and worse, shoes were being lost, the quality of even just trims was not there. We switched to this new guy who lives closer to us, and WOW.

He came and watched us run barrels and he pulled me aside after the run. He asked me what she felt like going into the turn. Smooth, bumpy, whatever. I said when she rates she sometimes gets bouncy. He asked me what my plans were for shoeing her for state, since I made it in reining and am on the bubble in figure 8 and horsemanship. I said I wasn't sure. I wanted to put sliders on but I didn't want to game in sliders if I made it in figure 8.

I expected him to agree with me, but instead he says "Why not?"

Everything I've ever thought is that full sliders on a gaming horse is nothing but bad news. I expected maybe a 3/4 slider. Nope, he told me based on the run I just made and the way she works the reining patterns that he's seen, he wants to put full sliders on. He pointed out his other clients who he also has using full sliders, and those who have 3/4, and those who don't. He says horses who are rough going into the turn can be smoothed out with sliders.

So we are putting sliders on her right before the third meet in a couple weeks. After watching the results on the horses he's shod, I have no reason to doubt him, and it makes sense how he's explained it. The man has shod for the most credible trainers in the area, president of the farrier's association, is an instructor...I can't believe I took so long to switch. Selena has already stopped overreaching almost immediately. I can't wait to see how she goes in her new shiny sliders.

Just kinda sharing, haha~ I never would of thought of it that way before.

beau159 03-18-2013 09:07 AM

Huh.

I would have never thought that having sliders on for gaming would be a good idea either. Granted, some horses do seem to be able to "slide around a barrel".

Of course I know next to nothing about shoes because I've never had the need to shoe my horses. So it's nice that I have a great farrier who knows about barrel racing and we are going to do some shoes later this year, or next year, for the purpose of traction. ...... which would NOT be sliders in my case!!

Be interesting to hear how it works out.

Muppetgirl 03-18-2013 09:29 AM

Yup keep us updated! I'm interested too! Also if your footing is a little deeper she could probably handle a run in sliders;)

nvr2many 03-18-2013 10:26 AM

Hum, interested in hearing how it works out for you.

BarrelRacer67 03-18-2013 12:55 PM

At the old barn I rode at, they had sliders on almost all the barrel horses. They had awful ground there and that was how they got around their turns. There was one of my friend's mare, she would really slide around her turns. You'd better be sitting deep and hanging on or you were shot off like a rocket! Haha! She was amazingly fast and she started winning and placing alot around the time I left.

SorrelHorse 03-18-2013 02:32 PM

Yep yep! Super excited for this one. Maybe it won't feel like I'm riding a jack hammer every time I ask her to rate going into the turn. She also stops 100% better in sliders so for our reining pattern this will do wonders.

Muppetgirl 03-18-2013 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SorrelHorse (Post 1944089)
Yep yep! Super excited for this one. Maybe it won't feel like I'm riding a jack hammer every time I ask her to rate going into the turn. She also stops 100% better in sliders so for our reining pattern this will do wonders.

You have been sliding without sliders or just sound a square stop in your patterns??

COWCHICK77 03-18-2013 07:44 PM

I have heard of putting a trailer on to help balance and/or countersunk nail heads so they can slide a little, but not a full out slider plate, interesting.

SorrelHorse 03-18-2013 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muppetgirl (Post 1947721)
You have been sliding without sliders or just sound a square stop in your patterns??

Eh. Just a stop. Poor terminology on my part, just a nice, hard, stop without much distance.

Muppetgirl 03-18-2013 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SorrelHorse (Post 1949593)
Eh. Just a stop. Poor terminology on my part, just a nice, hard, stop without much distance.

Ok.....well if she's got decent plates on suited to the footing you might find you get nice long soft stops;) I'm interested to how you and Selena do!! Please keep us updated:)