The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Rescue pony come home, not eating/ drinking enough. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/rescue-pony-come-home-not-eating-156752/)

Lizzielogs 03-18-2013 09:31 AM

Rescue pony come home, not eating/ drinking enough.

Hi
Have just got a 14hh 13yo rescue pony from a very good, large rescue yard where she has been for the past couple of years. She loaded into the trailer and travelled a dream but since she has been home (we have three other horses and all 4 are stabled with an hours turnout twice a day cos of the rubbish weather) she is only nibbling at her food and isn't (to my mind) drinking enough.
She never had hard feed at the centre obviously and as here she will be in light work we would like her to have a little so we have given her enough to just about cover the bottom of the bucket (about half a handfull) which she nibbles at and plays with between eating her hay (slowly!), when you consider she is a rescue pony her eating habits are very refined!
She has only been with us for three days so I am hoping this is just a changing yard problem and that in time she will settle, I think I am more worried about the drinking than the eating.
Reassurance would be great, tips for encouraging her would be even better!
I.m sure you are all going to say three days isn't enough time and I really do know that, probably I'm more stressed than her!

Lizzielogs x

Cat 03-18-2013 09:41 AM

If you are worried about the drinking you can entice her with some apple juice added to the water. Its a good short-term solution for increasing drinking.

BigBenLoverforLife 03-18-2013 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cat (Post 1942991)
If you are worried about the drinking you can entice her with some apple juice added to the water. Its a good short-term solution for increasing drinking.

Gatorade Aide works to if you horse dosent like apples! :-)