The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Conformation Critique (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/)
-   -   Please give me your thoughts on my three year old (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-conformation-critique/please-give-me-your-thoughts-my-156801/)

equinelvr 03-18-2013 01:23 PM

Please give me your thoughts on my three year old

1 Attachment(s)
Hello all!

I have a coming 3 year old registered paint. His registered name is Shine Like a Rokstarr if you would like to look at his bloodlines. He is TB on top and Paint on Bottom. I want to use him to be a jumper in lower level things. Please know that he is completely un-conditioned at this point and has a 12x12 stall with a 20x20 run attached. He does get turned out in my large pen a few times a week, but no conditoning from that, he is kinda lazy :lol:. I don't start riding my horses until they are 3 or more. In april, his official training will start with roundpen work and I will progress to under saddle and flatwork, arena work and trail. I would like to put two years under saddle to give him some experience and get him going well before we start jumping. When he hits 5 or 6, then I want to start him over jumps. Please tell me what you think of how his conformation will affect his jumping. Thank you for all your help!

equinelvr 03-19-2013 03:00 PM

additional photos for critique

2 Attachment(s)
Hello all, I was able to get some photos of his front and hind end today. Hopefully this will provide for a better critique :) When I was done with the photos, I noticed that he was a little cowhocked, amazing the things you see when you are looking closer.

ApolloRider 03-19-2013 03:53 PM

I don't know conformation well enough to judge..
Are his paint spots brindle?

Iseul 03-19-2013 04:34 PM

All I can say is that he looks adorable..

BUT, definitely subbing to see what our colour experts say about him.
Posted via Mobile Device

equinelvr 03-19-2013 06:07 PM

:) he is for sure brindle. I have had him tested at UC Davis to see if he is chimeric and they did not indicate they found any evidence of it, can't disprove it either.

Poseidon 03-19-2013 06:10 PM

I can tell you he's brown, but from that picture, I don't really see any brindle. I see the lines you're seeing, but they look more like creases in his hair from bending.

Endiku 03-19-2013 06:29 PM

Either way, I do like his conformation as a whole- though I can't really tell you if he'd be good for jumping since its not my expertise. I can't see why he couldn't do lower level though, if he enjoys it.

Solid, clean legs,slightly high withers and a neck that ties in a bit high, good porportions, a bit of a straight shoulder, good back length. Looks like he might need a better trim though, he flares out in those front hooves pretty significantly and they look rather long.

equinelvr 03-19-2013 06:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
here is an older photo, probably 6 months old or better, but it shows his brindle markings. He looks more reddish in this photo because it is very late in the day and the sun is low.

equinelvr 03-19-2013 06:31 PM

I agre, he is ready for a trim, he has an appointment Sautrday. When I got him, he was significantly overgrown and flared really bad and we have not been able to get rid of it all yet. Here is to hoping we can!

Question though? :) what is subbing ?

LexusK 03-19-2013 06:38 PM

Subbing means subscribing to thread. :)