The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Should I clip, or leave it alone? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/should-i-clip-leave-alone-156993/)

Whisper22 03-18-2013 07:50 PM

Should I clip, or leave it alone?

2 Attachment(s)
Here's my dilemma. My 9 month old colt grew a ridiculously thick coat this winter. I don't know if it's because he never lost his foal coat, I'm assuming, but it's thicker than I've ever felt on a horse. About a month ago we had a couple days that nearly reached 80F and the little booger hadn't even STARTED shedding and sweat pretty good those days. His mom was well on her way by that time and so I was a little worried that he hadn't started yet. Well about 2 weeks ago he finally started shedding and he was actually shedding really really well, like it was coming off in clouds. I was relieved, but now everything has slowed down. While he's still shedding, it's not much, and he still has a ton of hair. We're getting temps in the 90's some days now and I'm sure by next month it will be mostly mid 90's days.

So my question is, at what temperature would you consider clipping to keep your horse comfortable, or would you just leave it alone?

Here are a couple pictures. The first one is from the middle of winter. I took a picture of my hand hurried in his fur because I just couldn't believe how thick it was. The second picture was from Saturday.

WesternRider88 03-18-2013 08:08 PM

Subbing. :) My mule has tons of hair like that too. Previous owners body clipped him, but I know nothing about clipping and stuff.

Whisper22 03-18-2013 11:32 PM

Bump
Anyone?

DancingArabian 03-19-2013 12:32 AM

Summertime hit you fast!

What's the worry over clipping him? It's just hair and will grow back. I'd clip my horse at the first sign that the weather was going to stay too warm for his coat. Not that is ever have to, because my horse doesn't believe in thick winter fur.
Posted via Mobile Device

waresbear 03-19-2013 12:41 AM

He sweats during the day? How are the temps at night? I suppose you could body clip him, good intro to getting used to clippers, and if it gets chilly at night, blanket him. It certainly won't hurt him.

Whisper22 03-19-2013 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DancingArabian (Post 1950809)
Summertime hit you fast!

What's the worry over clipping him? It's just hair and will grow back. I'd clip my horse at the first sign that the weather was going to stay too warm for his coat. Not that is ever have to, because my horse doesn't believe in thick winter fur.
Posted via Mobile Device

I have no worry over clipping him, I've just never had to do it before, don't know anyone who has, and I would have to pay someone to come do it. I never got to see him shed out before winter hit and his winter coat grew in, just a little in the face. I'm actually very anxious to see him all sleek and beautiful.

Quote:

Originally Posted by waresbear (Post 1950953)
He sweats during the day? How are the temps at night? I suppose you could body clip him, good intro to getting used to clippers, and if it gets chilly at night, blanket him. It certainly won't hurt him.

The temps at night have been in the low 50's.

WesternRider88 03-19-2013 01:09 AM

I have a quick question, I hope you don't mind. Would clipping them make their hair more coarse?

Whisper22 03-19-2013 01:14 AM

I don't mind at all.

I'm also still wondering at what temp would you absolutely clip if they still had a winter coat. I'm thinking 95, is that waiting too long?

Chiilaa 03-19-2013 01:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WesternRider88 (Post 1951498)
I have a quick question, I hope you don't mind. Would clipping them make their hair more coarse?

No, this is a myth. The way the hair grows in a horse's coat is controlled by their genetic makeup, and nothing you can do can change that. Initially it may SEEM more coarse, but that is a perception issue, not actually a change in the hair at all.

WesternRider88 03-19-2013 01:49 AM

Okay, thanks! I had actually never heard that before but I was just thinking about it. :)