The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Boarding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-boarding/)
-   -   Moving Barns? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-boarding/moving-barns-157009/)

BigBenLoverforLife 03-18-2013 07:16 PM

Moving Barns?

Hello! I am moving barns in a few weeks, I am kinda nervous. This is my first time moving, since I have been at the same place for 6 years. The person taking him, loading and unloading, he knows very well, and I plan on staying with him all day long. I know about taking his food from the old barn and slowly mixing. Also its a plus that he already knows 2 of his pasture buddies! I just dont know what else I can do to make it more comfortable for him? Any suggestions? He was a show horse for a number of years, and spent most of his young life on the road, I am just worried about how he will react now. Also how many days should I wait till I ride him for the first time? I am probably going to lunge him for a few days to get a good feel for his surroundings. Can you think of anything else? Thanks! :-)

cebee 03-18-2013 07:32 PM

If he is a show horse, he is used to being ridden on the day he arrives someplace. Riding him may be a good way for him to get the 'lay of the land' as well. If it is safe to do so, walk the fence line with him so he can see where it is.
I worried about riding my boy the first day I brought him to the barn we are at, but it went great. I guess you can decide if he feels to antsy and nervous in a new place but being in a new place by itself should not be a reason not to ride...

BigBenLoverforLife 03-18-2013 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cebee (Post 1947657)
If he is a show horse, he is used to being ridden on the day he arrives someplace. Riding him may be a good way for him to get the 'lay of the land' as well. If it is safe to do so, walk the fence line with him so he can see where it is.
I worried about riding my boy the first day I brought him to the barn we are at, but it went great. I guess you can decide if he feels to antsy and nervous in a new place but being in a new place by itself should not be a reason not to ride...

Thanks! They have and indoor and outdoor so maybe I will do a little walking around in both and just go off how he feels! Thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device