The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Nervous about person coming to look at my horse (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/nervous-about-person-coming-look-my-157057/)

morganandme 03-18-2013 07:33 PM

Nervous about person coming to look at my horse

First off I'm NOT SELLING her...I just got this APHA AQHA palomino mare.. Anyways she uses a hack and we r switching her to a bit.... Why this lady is coming is to see if she has enough potential to b a show horse( western pleasure)she is a wonderful friend she actually got me started in horses!!! I'm still nervous she will say no!we can give her back to...I love her to death( the horse) and I don't want to se her go!! I don't know what to do!? She is going to ride her and all of that good stuf! I need help:P

HorseExpert 03-18-2013 11:55 PM

All I can say is, if she isn't show quality then do something else with her :) There's plenty of things your mare can do I'm sure, unless you're really set on showing.

If that's the case, you may be better off trying to find a horse that would better suit what you want to do.

toto 03-19-2013 12:18 AM

You want us to give your mare a confo critique?

Conformation is a big deal in Western Pleasure-- its also about how well your horse preforms, and that would be based on training. You cant simply buy a horse and expect it to be ready for showing with out the proper training.

if shes got a good mind, and a will to please, along with amazing conformation, she will succeed in the western pleasure ring.

Blue Smoke 03-19-2013 01:08 AM

Even the best breeding in the world for a specific discipline doesn't guarantee a horse will enjoy doing it. My friend had a mare bred in the purple for world class WP. She is by Potential Investment out of a mare by Zippo Pine Bar (out of a mare by The Big Investment) Paid 20 grand for her, put her through nearly 2 years WP training with a very well known trainer, and she ended up being a WP dropout. She looked the part, but she HATED WP, they actually ended up retraining her for games and she went on to be top 50 NBHA 1D/2D in 2007 or 08, I forget which. She was able to transition easily from WP to barrels with all the training and body control.

I guess what I am trying to say is, even if she doesn't work out for WP, there are other disciplines you can ride in and almost any horse can be shown in local open shows in WP or horsemanship. Now, if you are looking for world show potential, well, you'd be best off buying an already trained horse and will be paying a pretty penny for it.

Pics for a confo critique can help determine if she would be capable of WP, but like I said, it still doesn't take into account her personality and if she has the willingness and MIND to do that discipline, and do it well.