The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   Update - Baby is here *Dalilah's Foaling Thread* (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/update-baby-here-%2Adalilahs-foaling-thread%2A-157065/)

EmsTNWalkers 03-18-2013 09:10 PM

Update - Baby is here *Dalilah's Foaling Thread*

6 Attachment(s)
I figured I might as well go ahead and make a thread for my mare, Dalilah! Some of you already know about her, but I'll go ahead and give all the details. She was covered last year on April 4 and caught the first and only time. This was not an intentional breeding...long story short the owner of the barn I board at turned out his stallion to breed his mares and my mare, unbeknownst to him, was in with the bunch! Needless to say I was not happy, but my frustration has turned to excitement in anticipation of the foal's arrival. This is my first time dealing with a pregnant mare, so I've been doing lots of reading and question asking in an effort to educate myself as much as possible. I don't know if she has ever foaled before, so this should be interesting.

She's due any day now and I can't wait to see what she has. She has a nice bag and is softening up nicely in the back end. She is a buckskin tobiano, and the stallion is a smoky black (which was finally determined thanks to several people on a thread I posted in genetics!) so there are so many color possibilities for this little one. I'm hoping for a nice healthy colt :-) She is a great mare with a great disposition, and the stallion is one of the nicest and well behaved I've seen.

Sorry for the bad pics of the stallion, he isn't mine and I didn't really want to mess with someone else's horse so I just snapped a few quick shots. Oh, and please excuse how dirty they are in the pics, we have had so much rain and it's just impossible to keep anybody clean! The second any of them get out of the stalls they have a nice mud roll :evil:

Here's my girl

Attachment 133673

Attachment 133681

Attachment 133689

Attachment 133713

The stallion

Attachment 133697

Attachment 133705

equiniphile 03-18-2013 09:33 PM

Good luck with a healthy foal!

Btw, not to derail the thread, but have you thought about putting your mare in a snaffle when your kiddo's riding her? She's got an awful lot of contact with that hackamore; it looks uncomfortable.

EmsTNWalkers 03-18-2013 09:36 PM

I can see where it looks like a hackamore in the pics, that's just her halter underneath lol! She does best in a straight bit with a low port. Thanks for the suggestion though!

MillieSantana 03-18-2013 09:38 PM

Good luck, beautiful parents!

KyMoMoF3CuTiEs 03-18-2013 09:40 PM

Subbing!!! Been watching for you to start her a thread!! Ekkk! Another foal watch!
Posted via Mobile Device

EmsTNWalkers 03-18-2013 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KyMoMoF3CuTiEs (Post 1948641)
Subbing!!! Been watching for you to start her a thread!! Ekkk! Another foal watch!
Posted via Mobile Device

Hahaha glad to contribute to the insanity! I wish soooo badly that I didn't board and could have a cam up to watch her :-(

EliRose 03-19-2013 03:49 PM

Subbing! She's lovely.

Red Cedar Farm 03-19-2013 04:22 PM

:happydance:Another baby watch! Sweeet! You mare is drop dead gorgeous....and the stallion is quite the looker as well. Should make for one AMAZING foal! Can't wait!:clap:

EmsTNWalkers 03-19-2013 04:27 PM

Thanks guys! :hug: I'll be sure to give lots of updates....and of course asking questions as they come up :lol:

Merlot 03-19-2013 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by equiniphile (Post 1948529)
Good luck with a healthy foal!

Btw, not to derail the thread, but have you thought about putting your mare in a snaffle when your kiddo's riding her? She's got an awful lot of contact with that hackamore; it looks uncomfortable.

I'm glad you said this - EEK! was my first thought too.
Good luck with the foal :-)