The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/)
-   -   When should i ride? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-riding/when-should-i-ride-157153/)

Roguemae 03-18-2013 09:55 PM

When should i ride?

I just got my new mare today and when she had time to rest I went in and brushed her a lot and started to bond with her. I was wondering when I should start riding her- we are at a totally new place for her and she got spooked by something and ran into the cattle thing so I stayed off of her and walked and trotted her by rinning infront of her, she followed. should I start tomorrow or wait?

katec1991 03-19-2013 11:56 AM

That really depends on the horse...
My gelding takes probably two weeks to settle in fully - he's a nervous guy and moves really bother him. When I get to a new barn I take a week of just walking him around on the ground to let him check things out. I hang out in the arena with him and watch other people ride, walk around outside with him, or put him in the grooming stalls and just brush him. Then I start riding him and take it really slow. Start with just wandering around the arena at the walk the first ride, then move up to trotting, before we get back into serious work. He's still green and only about 6 years old, so I'm sure that plays a part in him taking a long time to settle in too.

On the other hand, there are those horses that have been there, done that. Some don't care where they are and you can get on and ride in a new place with no problem. Just use your best judgement.

Dustbunny 03-19-2013 01:10 PM

I always give a horse a few days to settle in but I do spend time with them and walk them around the place so they know where the boundries are...and who their new friends will be.

Fulford15 03-19-2013 01:16 PM

I'd give it a week, walk her around the new property just so shes used to the new sites :-)

beau159 03-19-2013 03:07 PM

For me, they typically get ridden the day they are brought home, or the next day. Yea, they'll be a bit more nervous for the first week or so, but that doesn't mean I can't ride.

Now with your situation ... it sounds like some trust and respect exercises might do the both of you some good before you ride.

Palomine 03-20-2013 07:58 PM

Quit running in front of her and letting her follow. That can lead to bad habits, and dangerous ones too.

And horses want a leader, that makes a secure and calm horse.

Saskia 03-20-2013 08:23 PM

Yeah I also think running with her isn't a great idea - and rather pointless.

If you want to do ground work with her get her yielding, and moving in circles AROUND you. You're the leader, so you shouldn't be running.

To me it depends but I wouldn't think she'd need more than a day or two. The thing is when you go to competitions or clinics you don't have the luxury of waiting a couple of days before riding - you get straight on. Yeah she might be nervous but horses get nervous.

And don't be lenient just because she's 'settling in'. Still be tough and don't let her get away with anything. This is when she'll start testing you.

NorthernMama 03-20-2013 09:07 PM

Depends on the horse, you and the environment. If you are unsure, then I would do ground work with her. No playing like running in front of her (Yikes!), but with a halter and lead and make her move where and how you want her to. Tack her up and do more ground work. If there are no issues and you feel confident, then ride. This could be a couple of hours or a couple of weeks depending on how much you know, how much the horse knows and how well the horse is trained.

HorseCrazyTeen 03-24-2013 11:57 PM

MY horse got two weeks to get used to the new place and then I went on short rides that got longer over another couple weeks.