The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   ARRRG! I cant stand this!! (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/arrrg-i-cant-stand-15716/)

ponypal 10-08-2008 07:29 PM

ARRRG! I cant stand this!!

lately when I canter, my left foot doesnt (sometimes) come out of the stirrup but it slides more into the stirrup. IDK if my left leg is shorter or something. I have to stop many
times to fix it.. ARRGGG!!!!! I ride on a saddle that isnt mine ,... if that make any difference. its just sooo frustreating!:-x:evil::oops:

JustDressageIt 10-08-2008 07:53 PM

Focus on putting your heels down, stretching through your leg, and make sure you're not gripping with your knee or thigh.

upnover 10-08-2008 10:54 PM

It's very common for people to have a strong side and a weak side when it comes to riding. I'm stronger on my left side and usually ride better going to the left. :) Sounds like your left side might be the weaker side, as losing stirrups is often a sign of an unsteady leg. There could be several things happening... first of all, are you stirrups even? Most people's left stirrup is a little longer because they get on on the left side and stretch it out faster. Is your left leg a little shorter then your right? (it happens) You could try shortening it a hole and seeing if that helps. Are you putting more weight into your right seatbone or stirrup? Or are you collapsing your spine to the left (which will put more weight into your right side) This sounds like a random question, but do you wear a purse and do you hang it off your right shoulder? A dressage trainer told me that a lot of women normally hang their purses off the same shoulder, and it makes them carry themselves differently, even in the saddle. So if you carried it off your right shoulder, it would cause you go with your right shoulder a little higher then your left. It sounded wierd to me at first, but it's amazing how often I see it's true!

PoptartShop 10-08-2008 10:58 PM

Yeah, just stretch your leg ; bend your knees so that your leg goes back a little bit, & open your calf so your leg is longer. :) It might take some time, but it works!

ponypal 10-09-2008 04:12 PM

ok this sound good. I will look at the saddle next time and see if the stirrups are the lengtn. and I will try to think more about my heels when riding.
thanxs!:D:wink:

VanillaBean 10-21-2008 07:06 PM

Try cantering in 2-point REALLY stretch those heels down, and then sit the canter....it worked for me!!!

appylover31803 10-23-2008 03:38 PM

I've had this happen to be a few times. Anytime it would happen, I would go back down to a walk, regroup myself and really concentrated on not pinching with my knee and gripping with my calf. I also found out that when that happened, both my horse and I were off balance. once we got re-balanced, everything worked out.

IrishRider 10-23-2008 05:26 PM

I trot around like crazy in 2-point as well as cantering in it. I do the exact same thing you do. I have noticed that when I first start riding my calves feel tight and contracted so I trot around a lot in 2-point, stretching my calves. It seems to help me keep my feet in the stirrups better. Doing some non-stirrup work also helps to strengthen your legs too. I'm such a wimp that I can't do it very long though.

xkatex 10-23-2008 06:13 PM

I always remember my instructor saying "toe up" instead of heel down. Perhaps adjust your stirrup lengths? My left leg is longer than my right so I actually have to put the stirrup a hole longer. Gosh bodies are odd

DashAwayAll 10-24-2008 12:16 PM

Before any of this ( or in addition to it, ) I would actually take out a soft measuring tape and measure the stirrup leathers. Leather stretches over time. If that is the owners stronger side, they may have 'pressed down' the stirrup over the course of usage. However, you should be able to adjust if you know the cause.

Does this happen on both leads?