The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   rubbing mane (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/rubbing-mane-15722/)

jazzyrider 10-08-2008 09:25 PM

rubbing mane

jarred has taken to rubbing his mane over the last couple of months. he has gone from having such a thick mane that it would split down the middle and be a full mane on either side to a thin, pathetic, broken mane. one day i went out there as normal and brushed his mane and got handful open handful of hair. at this stage there was nothing visible that showed he had been rubbing it out. it was just falling out it seemed.

it stayed like this fair a while and now its obvious he has been rubbing it. ive bathing him and applying a stop itch treatment for a few weeks now and that hasnt worked. he is even rubbing his tail now :( his beautiful mane and tail are getting trashed. i dont know why he is itching. there is nothing visible on the skin and no flakes or anything that would indicate why he is doing it.

ive tried a few different stop itch treatments that have worked in the past but nothing is stopping him.

any ideas?

SonnyWimps 10-08-2008 09:27 PM

that happened to Sonny before...he's rubbed off almost all of his mane before. I was soooo mad at him.
For Sonny it was the bugs that caused it.
What i did to treat it was, I would apply MTG on it, then cover it with LOTS of SWAT to keep the bugs off. And it grew back quickly

kickshaw 10-08-2008 10:40 PM

could also be pinworms...when was he last dewormed?

jazzyrider 10-09-2008 01:08 AM

last week. they are done right on 6 weeks all the time

kickshaw 10-09-2008 08:31 AM

i figured you kept up with them :-)

Boo's on that schedule too, but the booger gets those stupid pinworms EVERY TIME! (his tail gets really itchy...)

outside of that, all i've got are MTG for treatment, the possibility that it's sweet itch... I'd definitely try something soothing -like diaper rash ointment.

Are there gnats there?

Vidaloco 10-09-2008 08:37 AM

Have you figured out what he's rubbing it on? Any time mine do it I try to remove the object if I can. Mine will start to stick their heads through the fence when the grass starts to thin out in the fall. I just mow the other side of the fence to remove the temptation. Maybe if you can discover the cause you can remove it. :???:

aappyfan1 10-09-2008 10:39 AM

some times they can get lice on the mane area. And you will have to get a treatment for that, before they will stop scratching. It a impossible job to elimite all the things that horses can and do scratch with.

jazzyrider 10-09-2008 10:06 PM

there are no gnats or lice that i can see. ive had a pretty good look through there a few times.

i cant really remove what he is rubbing on either as he is rubbing on trees :-)
there are at least 2,000 trees on the property so he can pick any one of them he likes lol

Vidaloco 10-12-2008 02:48 PM

Oh come on Jazzy just whip out your chain saw and have at it. We know you want to :wink: :lol:

katieandduke 10-12-2008 08:58 PM

yeah jazzy, you would have a career in lumber jackin.. :wink:lol...