The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   horse got into grain again (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/horse-got-into-grain-again-157289/)

horsecrazygirl13 03-18-2013 11:26 PM

horse got into grain again

Hi My horse Duke somehow got hold of a bag of Mare and Foal starter feed. The bag was almost empty and had about 5 lb (give or take) in it. he ate it all up. Is 5 lb dangerous? the vet's clinic is closed so I couldnt call the vet until tomorrow. what should i do? I built a makeshift "feed room" in the barn and he must have pulled the bag out because it was so light.

waresbear 03-18-2013 11:30 PM

5 pounds can be harmful in one sitting. Keep an eye on him. And also get an old deep freeze and keep your feed in that, no horse or rodent can get into it.

smrobs 03-18-2013 11:32 PM

Whether or not 5 pounds can be dangerous depends on the ingredients and percentages. How much of the feed is generally fed at a time per the instructions? Is it a concentrate where you only feed a pound or two or is it something that you feed so many pounds per 100lbs body weight?

As for preventing it from happening again, I second the old freezer. Even decently solid trash barrels will work if you secure the lids properly.

toto 03-18-2013 11:42 PM

Not to argue-- I've seen horses open the Deep freezers with the flimsy lids. If you are considering getting one i suggest one with a heavy lid. I prefer the screw top barrels for feed-- keeps the rodents out, no rust, no water, or horse can get in it, lol.

how many pounds does he usually get?

horsecrazygirl13 03-18-2013 11:58 PM

this was the kind of food 25KG ROLLING ACRES MARE & FOAL STARTER
He gets a few handfuls of grain to supplement his hay.

toto 03-19-2013 12:15 AM

It doesn't say the list of ingredients on that link..

waresbear 03-19-2013 12:17 AM

It's 16% protein so I wouldn't be too worried.