The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Colors and Genetics (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/)
-   -   appy color.. (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/appy-color-157370/)

toto 03-19-2013 01:44 AM

appy color..

Okay, we have an app that appears to be a chestnut, but I got to lookin and noticed he gots brown on his muzzle around his eyes and his flanks aint colored-- his legs from fetlock to cannon are that same color.. I know agouti has to be present for a horse to be 'At' but he does have a few black hairs in his mane and tail.. he also has a few black spots on his body and a few cream colored ones-- could it be he is brown? he isn't a sorrel, but more chestnut looking with a flaxen mane and tail..

his blanket goes from the front of his shoulder to his hocks big spots.. id call him a semi-leopard. his flanks are missing white like how a snowflake app would, but he has big spots.

any guesses, since we's in the 'brown' mood.. :lol:

Peppy Barrel Racing 03-19-2013 02:13 AM

Sounds like a Chestnut or sorrel appy to me. FYI chestnut and sorrel are the same color just different terms explaining the same thing. Got a picture you can share?
Posted via Mobile Device

toto 03-19-2013 02:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peppy Barrel Racing (Post 1953130)
Sounds like a Chestnut or sorrel appy to me. FYI chestnut and sorrel are the same color just different terms explaining the same thing. Got a picture you can share?
Posted via Mobile Device

lol nah our mare is sorrel, he is definitely chestnut in color, but has some spots of at least 4 different colors, including his base coat..

not any that you can see the black in his mane, or the other colors in his spots.

and liver chestnut would be the darkest variation of them both. ;)

Peppy Barrel Racing 03-19-2013 02:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toto (Post 1953162)
lol nah our mare is sorrel, he is definitely chestnut in color, but has some spots of at least 4 different colors, including his base coat..

not any that you can see the black in his mane, or the other colors in his spots.

and liver chestnut would be the darkest variation of them both. ;)

Perhaps I confused you. Im saying chestnut and sorrel are exactly the same color there is no difference genetically they are just two terms for the same red color gene. The difference between your one sorrel and your appy sorrel sounds like your appy carries flaxen. But genetically they are both red sorrel chestnut whatever you prefer horses. Sorrel is chestnut ans chestnut is sorrel basically. I need a pic of this appy I am curious!
Posted via Mobile Device

toto 03-19-2013 03:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peppy Barrel Racing (Post 1953186)
Perhaps I confused you. Im saying chestnut and sorrel are exactly the same color there is no difference genetically they are just two terms for the same red color gene. The difference between your one sorrel and your appy sorrel sounds like your appy carries flaxen. But genetically they are both red sorrel chestnut whatever you prefer horses. Sorrel is chestnut ans chestnut is sorrel basically. I need a pic of this appy I am curious!
Posted via Mobile Device

Lol, I think I am the one who has you confused.. Let me explain..

'ee' is Chestnut, Sorrel, and Liver Chestnut gene.. Now, What I was trying to explain is-- Chestnut is lighter than Sorrel, and liver chestnut is Darker than sorrel.. See? :D

The Difference between my Sorrel, and my appaloosa is Lp-- 'ee' would be his, and the sorrels base coat color..

What Im askin is-- what if instead of him having 'ee' as a base color, it's really 'At'?

CessBee 03-19-2013 03:23 AM

Sorrel is purely a western term, I hadn't heard of a sorrel horse before I am came to these sorts of forums, was always a chestnut for me :)

Also, impossible to tell really without pics :)

Chiilaa 03-19-2013 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toto (Post 1953354)

'ee' is Chestnut, Sorrel, and Liver Chestnut gene.. Now, What I was trying to explain is-- Chestnut is lighter than Sorrel, and liver chestnut is Darker than sorrel.. See? :D

The Difference between my Sorrel, and my appaloosa is Lp-- 'ee' would be his, and the sorrels base coat color..

What Im askin is-- what if instead of him having 'ee' as a base color, it's really 'At'?

Without pictures, it is impossible to tell. However, it is no unusual for a red based horse to have black hairs in the mane and tail, as well as white hairs.

As for the chestnut/sorrel/liver debate, genetically, there is no known difference between the three. They are all ee. The different names are just different shades, exactly like saying steel grey, rose grey, dapple grey. Genetically, these are all grey, they are just names for the shade. The same applies to chestnut. Sorrel and liver are just different names for the shades. Differentiating them might mean something to some registries, but it doesn't mean jack when you are discussing their genes.

Peppy Barrel Racing 03-19-2013 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toto (Post 1953354)

'ee' is Chestnut, Sorrel, and Liver Chestnut gene.. Now, What I was trying to explain is-- Chestnut is lighter than Sorrel, and liver chestnut is Darker than sorrel.

Just gonna say no. And believe whatcha like there I suppose they are all the same horse genetically no matter what you want to call it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Faceman 03-19-2013 09:37 AM

As said, it is impossible to tell if your guy is brown or chestnut without good pictures. As far as the black hairs in the mane go, it is common for Appys of ANY color to have stray black hairs in their mane or tail. It is also common for Appys to have spots or blotches of varying shades of their base coat - for example a chestnut Appy may have spots or colors that range all the way from a grey-appearing light chestnut to "liver" chestnut that is almost black...in leopards, that is why some people mistakenly call them "tri-colored leopards" - which they are not, of course...

Chiilaa 03-19-2013 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Faceman (Post 1954338)
As said, it is impossible to tell if your guy is brown or chestnut without good pictures. As far as the black hairs in the mane go, it is common for Appys of ANY color to have stray black hairs in their mane or tail. It is also common for Appys to have spots or blotches of varying shades of their base coat - for example a chestnut Appy may have spots or colors that range all the way from a grey-appearing light chestnut to "liver" chestnut that is almost black...in leopards, that is why some people mistakenly call them "tri-colored leopards" - which they are not, of course...

What Face is trying to say is that, pretty much, when you have appy involved... anything is possible lmao.