The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Dressage (http://www.horseforum.com/dressage/)
-   -   Financing my expensive hobby.. (http://www.horseforum.com/dressage/financing-my-expensive-hobby-157458/)

DuffyDuck 03-19-2013 09:59 AM

Financing my expensive hobby..

Trouble is afoot.

Kinda.

I live in Germany, have my 4yo boy (horse :lol:).
The military camp I am currently on is closing this summer. I am due to move the first week of July to another base in Germany around 3 hours down the road.

Which is fine, but it is REALLY expensive. Like.. double the amount. I am very worried because if I can't find anything else.. which I haven't as of yet... I will have to sell.

I need partial livery to feed and turnout. So far we're looking at least €460 a month compared to the €250 I currently pay for full livery; I just turn up and ride.

Would you think that taking a loanee would be a good idea, or not for such a young horse? Would be advertised for someone with experience, but I am quite worried about letting anyone and everyone ride. I can plop anyone on his back no problems... but this would probably be twice a week.

The German's have loan contracts where it states if you must have lesson, what the horse is described as suitable for etc. And I would state one lesson a week required...

I can't take another job due to taxes and entitlement.

But any ideas are welcome. Feel a bit miserable about the prospect.

Sophie and Dobbie

~*~anebel~*~ 03-19-2013 10:13 AM

If you can find someone good who is looking for a loan then yes. However, that being said, its going to be tough to find a good rider who wants to pay to ride. Don't know how it is over there, but I know for over here, I'll arrange a free situation for myself, or even be getting paid dependent on the horse I'm riding. And IMO I wouldn't want someone who doesn't know exactly what they are doing with Dobbie.
Can you find somewhere that will let you work off your board? Cleaning stalls on the weekends and maybe doing night feed a few times a week? Can you find a place to start teaching kids again?

Poo that really sucks :(
Posted via Mobile Device

DuffyDuck 03-19-2013 10:18 AM

You can find them a dime a dozen, its just finding someone who isn't expecting me to push him till he is near breaking point, but then someone good enough too.

They don't do those sort of things out here where you can work off board.. I've only known it once when someone was desperate and they got a foal from her mare when they put their stud to it and made a huge profit.

I may be able to, but that is generally a case of when you are settled in.

Its making me pull my hair out.

You wouldn't recognise him now. He has grown up. No more spurs riding, stays on contact between transitions no problems.. hits the correct lead on the left too hahahaha, and literally just touch him to move him forward.. no kick kick kick... makes me feel sick to think about giving him up.

deserthorsewoman 03-19-2013 10:52 AM

Where are you moving to? What do you need, facility wise? Maybe a private "Haltergemeinschaft" would be possible. Often small, private stables are near bigger places and you can use indoor there for a fee. Get a newspaper with free private advertisements....there's usually lots of horse activity. Contact breeders in the area, they might have a stall and/or would appreciate help. I'll probably think of more once I've posted this, lol....I've been in the same boat before. Like I said, if you tell me where you'll move to, I might be able to help you:-)

DuffyDuck 03-20-2013 08:53 AM

Hi desert,

I need an indoor school, straw box of a decent size- both horses are 17hh+, turnout all year where possible.

Minimal feeding in the morning of grain and hay, and turnout.
If I could find a full livery side of things then I would be happier.

I have to be honest, I am taking up an accounting A level and my application to Sandhurst.. not sure if I am going to have the time to work off board mucking out stalls as I work 0830-1700.

Work place is around 20mins from home in the car, so I have to take that in to account too.

I am in the Bielefeld- Heepen area.

One thing is a must.. dressage trainer. If there isn't one on site, that is fine.. I will search for someone mobile.

GAH.

I need to get some looked at. Hoping to get up there in a couple of months to look around yards before we move. Possibly May.

deserthorsewoman 03-20-2013 09:36 AM

There should be a ton up there. It's horse country, for goodness sakes;-)

But seriously, find local newspapers, get horse magazines, ReiterRevue, Pferdemarkt, etc, I bet there's a horse community online for the area....a forum:-)

I'll be looking, too.
When we were relocated, early 2000, from north to almost south, I was looking for non traditional, run-in with pasture, self care, that stuff, at a time when it wasn't common at all and very few horsefolks were online....and we were too far to just go and look.....I had to take what I could get and started looking for something better as soon as we arrived. ;-)

DuffyDuck 03-20-2013 09:45 AM

I know!! But I think its lovely horse country and you pay for the privelidge ;)

I have a friend going up to the area before me, and have already asked her to send local newspapers down etc.

Looked at ebaykleineanzeige, pferde.de etc.. I think because its still snowing, a lot of stables fill up over winter. I may be worth looking again in a couple of months.

Its just frustrating! Stall-frei is useless too!

GAH!

I really, really don't want to have to give the boy up :(

deserthorsewoman 03-20-2013 10:03 AM

Reitanlage Brönninghausen | Bielefeld

Sonja Hassenewert, Dressursusbildung his Kl. S
05208-8276

Indoor, pastures, stalls with runs attached, individual feeding, reasonable rates, they turn out for you, clean stalls for a small fee if you want. Individual feeding.
Sounds pretty much what you would need and it's right outside Heepen.
Keep in mind, it's an internet thing, haven't seen it. But I think it's worth checking out.

You will have it easier, somewhat, to find something after may.

deserthorsewoman 03-20-2013 10:41 AM

Okay, here we go:
www.reitverein-herford.de
Herford is about 10km from Heepen

www.reitsportanlage-Ubbedissen.de( i think that's the right addy)
Couldn't see prices, couldn't download list to my phone.

Home - Hubertus Stricker
Now this one sounds REALLY good! It is in Detmold, don't know if it's too far for you(I so hope it's not).
200 for stall, 215 for stall with paddock, includes hay, straw, silage. Kraftfutter will be fed when you provide it and have it ready. Pasture for all horses. They can do full board for more money.
I like their set up, not a horse jail AT ALL;-)

DuffyDuck 03-20-2013 11:05 AM

Detmold is about 30-40 mins away... unfortunately my dad will never drive that far and I am in the process of doing my driving...

First one has been looked at by another person I know searching... was NOT impressed at all.

The second one in your second post looks good, though! Wish they would post galleries on their sites though!

Not sure how far Herford is.. all I know is I am avoiding the Saddle Club like to bubonic plague!! I can't deal with witchy army wives!

Thanks Desert :D Given me a great starting point!!