The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Stall Walking (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/stall-walking-157466/)

PunksTank 03-19-2013 10:06 AM

Stall Walking

We have a teeny mini at our rescue who has the obnoxious habit of pacing in her stall. She just walks laps around her stall, if there's food she'll grab a bite and keep walking.
She has many issues, she has more teeth than mouth and the vet is regularly removing some a bit at a time. I'm also fairly certain she's dwarfed or has some other issues - she is pretty inbred :(

What are some causes of stall walking? She's turned out all day and only stalled at night. We've tried opening her stall into the aisle in front of her stall so she can play with our shetland pony over her stall door, but she just paces the aisle and her stall together. She just doesn't stop moving! She's pretty underweight and she can only eat food soaked and soft (no regular hay) so it's getting hard to keep her weight up with her chronic pacing. Is there anything we can do?

Lins 03-19-2013 10:13 AM

Why does she have to be locked in a stall?
Posted via Mobile Device

PunksTank 03-19-2013 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lins (Post 1954610)
Why does she have to be locked in a stall?
Posted via Mobile Device

They all come in at night for several reasons, the weather (currently snow deeper than she is tall), animal predators, we border the town forest, we are also a rescue with a number of retired broken old horses that do best stalled at night - we also have teenagers in the neighborhood - I prefer the horses to be locked into safely.

She's also not much better outside, but her mini friend squawks at her when she bumps into her so she'll stop.

spirit88 03-19-2013 11:01 AM

Could try hanging one of those likit treats see if that would keep her from pacing.

PunksTank 03-19-2013 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spirit88 (Post 1955074)
Could try hanging on of those likit treats see if that would keep her from pacing.

That's a great idea! Thank you!! I'll try it :)

spirit88 03-19-2013 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PunksTank (Post 1955122)
That's a great idea! Thank you!! I'll try it :)

Hope it works for her trick is finding a flavor she really likes.

NBEventer 03-19-2013 11:22 AM

My coaches horse is a stall pacer. Nothing will stop it. We ended up having to set her stall up so we could make it a straight stall when she was inside and people are around. When we leave at night we will take the partition down and let her have the box. She only seems to really do it when people are around. She does do it through the night but not as bad.

Stall pacing is more then annoying. Its actually really hard on their bodies. My coaches mare needs chiro adjustments on a regular basis as she has her body pretty twisted from doing laps. She will grab a bite of hay and continue lapping.

Delfina 03-19-2013 11:41 AM

Do you have a big stall where you could put her and another mini together?

That's what we do with a pair of ponies that are basically mini-sized. The one just can't handle being "alone", she's perfectly fine as long as another equine or a human is with her, so we gave up trying to "fix" her and the two have a 14x14 stall with an approx. 14x28 run attached to share.