The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   Parelli Natural Horsemanship (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/parelli-natural-horsemanship-1575/)

Quebeth 04-17-2007 11:18 PM

Parelli Natural Horsemanship

I just got back on sunday from West Springfield Mass. and I just had to share this amazing experience. Friday started my april break from Wells High School ( 7 weeks till graduation Woot Woot) and a friend of mine and her mother went down to The Collesium where the West Springfield Mass. Equine affair is held to see a two day Parelli seminar. It was so inspirational.I couldn't believe that they could ride without bridles, and saddles. Linda Parelli was riding a warmblood, which some people call dumbloods because they are hard to get going, and she was getting him to jump picnic tables with no effort. She wasnt using her leg, she was using her inner energy. and a new riding technique. I just couldn't believe what I was seeing. Now I am going to try training my horse using the Parelli method. I was just wondering what experiences people have had with it or what they thought of it. If you want to know more about Parelli Natural Horsemanship go to www.Parelli.com

kristy 04-18-2007 02:44 AM

I don't discourage it, but I also don't practice it.

If it's a safe method of training, I'm generally am not going to be against it. Although I don't agree with all the tactics, it should preach kindness which I'm for.

mommadog1956 04-18-2007 09:45 AM

my vote was "don't know". thats because.........

i have a friend that has trained one of her mares using their methods, and she is amazing to watch. she (friend) has taught some of our saddle club members some of the techniques and they do seem to work. i love watching their TV show on rfdtv, it is fascinating!!! their methods make sense to me, and they seem to work. it makes perfect sense to me to become "the alpha horse" with our horses. why do people things when we are not dealing with people.

BUT......

i just got their information packet in the mail, this past monday, and MY GOD, it is expensive!!!!!!! :shock: i cannot believe the cost!! i see no reason for it to be that high. its ok to make money on your methods, but not that much!!

Raini 04-20-2007 06:44 PM

ahh I could go on and on and on about parelli. It's turned on a light for me. I look at horses with a new approach now. It's changed my riding too. Parelli is a great method to develop bonds between horse and rider. I don't see how you think it's unsafe. People jump horses over 4 foot brick walls....I don't see how that is any different then a picnic table. Also for the cost. Yes it's a bit ridiculous but when you think about it people spend hundreds and hundreds of dollars on show halters and bridles. Or 200 dollars on a pair of boots. Parelli only requires the kit, halter, stick, and string.

blue._.skyes 04-21-2007 01:17 AM

I don't disscourage it either, but i think that it needs to be used in conjunction with other methods of training. People need to remember than some things work wonders for some horses, but not at all for others. It is a great way to learn to understand and read your horse though.

horseywanderer 05-04-2007 07:11 PM

my horse was started with parelli by someone else before i moved back and they didnt finish! now Im left with a horse who knows one thing that i dont! I cant afford the packs yet, i wish i could althoough i do feel theyre a bit on the expenisve side.

Looks good from what ive seen but iIl have to stick with other methods for now :(

Dave Singleton 05-04-2007 08:12 PM

I would have to encourage Parelli as anything that can form such amazing bonds between humans and horses has to be good. However, I do feel that it is fast becoming 'just a money spinner' which can be seen by the cost of actually starting on the course. On the other hand if it works then you can't put a price on happiness... it is just the price of finding out that bothers me!