The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Other Pets (http://www.horseforum.com/other-pets/)
-   -   This really grinds my gears (Rant!) (http://www.horseforum.com/other-pets/really-grinds-my-gears-rant-157554/)

Fulford15 03-19-2013 01:34 PM

This really grinds my gears (Rant!)

Okay. This happens often... A lady I work with always raves how "dangerous" pitbulls are, I just heard her say it to a client again and it just makes me really mad and I have to rant, lol.
I work at an Insurance Office, I just found out if you have a "dangerous breed" of dog (apperantly Pitbulls, bull terriers, doberman, german sheperd, the "bully breeds"), that YOUR insurance will be a higher premium as it is a HIGHER "risk", as too having a little dog. I think this complete B.S....Quite frankly, I would really like to do something about it.

I am a huge pitbull lover, I grew up with one my whole life and he was the nicest dog ever, he was a puppy and I was a baby, he slept under my crib and protected me, my BF's brother has two, nicest dogs... Okay, what I am trying to say is I have NEVER met a mean/dangerous pitbull ever. Just makes me mad that she always says "they are dangerous, they hurt people" when I have told her many times that she is breed discriminating, heck, I've been bitten by a Poodle, never a Pitbull. Yup, a Pitty attacked me... With KISSES! :lol:

Anyways, it bothers me when she says this, no matter what I say to her she says their so dangerous and should be banned everywhere. :evil: How about "It's not the dog, it's the owner"?

Nightside 03-19-2013 01:37 PM

Every few years people pick a new breed to hate on. Pit bulls just happen to be everywhere and popular amongst some of the wrong sort of people.
Posted via Mobile Device

ChristineNJ 03-19-2013 01:48 PM

Pit bulls can be dangerous!! This is just a fact especially if they have been abused! I would never get one or recommend the breed to anyone! I know of a case where a pit bull just killed a neighbors dog!! Very tragic!:oops:

wausuaw 03-19-2013 01:52 PM

I've noticed pits have a higher risk of being aggressive to small animals (if not socialized with them) but I honestly don't think I have ever met an aggressive pit bull. I think breed discrimination is bull, and it's up to the owner to make their dogs good citizens.

I have rescued and rehabbed a lot of pits, and I will say they have an uncanny ability to persevere over circumstances that would in fact make most dogs very fearful or aggressive. It's one of the many qualities I love about the breed.

There was one here that was LITERALLY doused in gasoline, lit on fire and dumped on the side of the road (survived, and is still the sweetest dog). Ooooo... How I'd like to do that to the people who did it and see how they felt about it.

That being said, I would probably never own one. Not be because of aggression, but simply because I like dogs who are chilled and relaxed. High energy dogs drive me batty after awhile... (Though I have met a few that fit the chill bill, but most are just big balls of energy)

GamingGrrl 03-19-2013 01:52 PM

^ ALL DOGS can be dangerous!

I've met more demon bitey chihuahuas and poms than big dogs.
Posted via Mobile Device

Kayella 03-19-2013 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChristineNJ (Post 1956106)
Pit bulls can be dangerous!! This is just a fact especially if they have been abused! I would never get one or recommend the breed to anyone! I know of a case where a pit bull just killed a neighbors dog!! Very tragic!:oops:

Any dog can be dangerous. Any dog can be dangerous if they're abused. Any dog can attack and kill another dog. What's your point?

Saying that is like saying all TB's are highstrung, all arabians are crazy, all Quarter Horses are fat and can work a cow. What's the difference? There is none. It's breed discrimination and it needs to stop.

What is your point? Where is your proof? I'm sure there is a collection of all dog attacks over the years and what breed they were. Is this what you're basing your opinion off of? Your opinion, being the key word. Please tell me where you get your "facts" from, because I'd love to become educated on this.

DraftyAiresMum 03-19-2013 01:58 PM

I worked at a vet for 2.5 years in high school and have owned dogs my entire life. I have worked with pits, rotts, Akitas, wolf hybrids, GSDs...all the "dangerous" breeds. Guess what breed the only dog that ever bit me was. A three pound Pomeranian...named Pookie. I had a golden retriever who would lunge, growling, snapping and snarling, at the kennel bars as I walked by and I couldn't take him out of his kennel (unless it was time for him to go home...then he loved me). Pit bulls don't even make the top ten list for dog bites in the US.

I owned a pit/Dane mix (near as we could tell) who looked like a short Dane with a big, ol' blocky pit head stuck on his neck. He was 30" at the shoulder and weighed 95lbs...at ten months old. He was pitch black with a thin white stripe running down his muzzle and under his chest, a tiny bit of white on all his toes, and a small white spot on the back of his neck. I went to a local shot clinic to get him his rabies shot and license and the vet and techs refused to handle him because he "looked mean." I told them that I'd hold him if they would give him his shot. I made him sit, then knelt down and wrapped my arm loosely around his head and started scratching his ears. The vet gave him the shot as quickly as possible and stepped away. Xander just sat there and didn't move a muscle. After they saw how well-behaved he was, they approached him and started loving on him. He absolutely ate it up and was such a clown. All of a sudden my "big, scary pit bull" wasn't so scary anymore.

Oh, and you know how they say pits hate cats? Xander's best friend was my 6lbs tabby. I took him to visit the animal control office one day (that's where I adopted him from and they loved it when we visited) and they had a tiny 6-week-old kitten running around the office. Xander laid down and that kitten was climbing all over him, playing with his ears, tail and paws. It finally settled between his front paws for a nap and Xander gave it a bath with his tongue.

Pound for pound, I would be more worried about my Aussie/St Bernard mix going after and possibly biting someone than I was worries about my pit/Dane going after someone. Everyone sees my Aussie/St Bernard and thinks "Awwww!! Nice fluffy dog!" Then they try to come in the yard and as soon as their hand touches the fence, he lunges. Heck, his nickname at my old apartment complex (given to him by the maintenance guys and one of the leasing agents) was Kujo.
Posted via Mobile Device

Fulford15 03-19-2013 02:01 PM

Quote:

Any dog can be dangerous. Sure, if a dog came onto another dogs property, they are going to protect their territory....That is discrimination to the breed... look kids/adults get bitten by dogs every day, it's just made a BIG deal if it's a Pitbull... Makes me mad that people like "drug dealers" and/or "criminals" have made a bad name for such a loving dog. My Grandmother had an American Eskimo Dog, it bit a kid and had to get put down, it wasn't on the news, but I can bet money if it were a Pitbull the media would be all over that.

Cat 03-19-2013 02:01 PM

Quote:

Any dog, or animal for that matter, can be dangerous - especially if they have been abused or unsocialized. My friend has 4 rescue pitbulls and they are just big ole luvs and the only dog I've ever been bit by is a pom. Go figure.

Island Horselover 03-19-2013 03:02 PM

Yes, every dog would be able to attack or bite someone, but a bite of a tiny dog would not do what a bite of a pb or any other bigger dog does! I dont hate the breed and think that lots of times it is the humans mistake that the dog misbehaves! It just happend that my horses only get attacked by pb or pb crosses.... to be exact about 4 times within the last 3 years....