The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Training (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/)
-   -   jumping style (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-training/jumping-style-1576/)

futolympeventer327 04-18-2007 12:08 AM

jumping style

My horse is quite lazy over smaller jumps, they need to be around 4 ft for him to start taking them seriously. I was wondering if any one had excercises to help with his form over smaller jumps he needs tighter knees and a rounder bascule and he simply just canters over them instead of actually jumping.

collected 04-19-2007 06:54 PM

Have you tried gymnastic exercises? My horse is the same way because he's so big, but using gymnastics and in and outs has helped him to learn to use his body over the fences rather than just getting over them.

futolympeventer327 04-19-2007 11:12 PM

yep he just hops over them unless they are big then he actually tucks but not very tight. He is for some reason actually less snappy in gymnastics then he is in courses. It doesnt make any sense to me, he has soooo much action in his joints on the flat his collected canter looks ridiculous because his forearms come nearly parallel to the ground. The bigger jumps dont help much either he used to rush horribly and my trainer was convinced maybe we could just over face him and knock around his ego a bit. It didn't work we got to 6 ft and stopped because he was still just hopping over with no sense of style or form. He just isn't trying at all, jumping with his head up, all hollow and loose in the legs.

Raini 04-19-2007 11:45 PM

grids, the ultimate answer for everything. :) They will help him snap up his knees and get his timing correct. Gymnastics. Interesting courses. Mix it up and grids grids grids. :D I'd also try free jumping him.

justholdon 04-19-2007 11:59 PM

well if you are an eventer as your username suggest, not too much need to worry about his form so long as he jumps fast and clean. Might try free jumping him through gymnastics instead of riding him through them--he will have to think for himself more since you won't be able to tell him what to do. or try a scarier fence like a trakehner

how old is and what level do you do?

showpony@heart 04-20-2007 04:49 AM

Umm eventers still need to showjump!

futolympeventer327 04-20-2007 11:17 PM

He is 5 and we did one novice and this summer is all going to be training and maybe a prelim at the end of the season. We do alot of grids they don't seem to help unless its like 4 ft which we can't do all the time seeing as he is 5. Here he is 3 weeks ago while we were schooling that bench is prelim he is a big boy so he doesnt care and does weird things with his knees.http://www.horseforum.com/userpix/688_IMG_3568_1.jpg

D-izzle 04-21-2007 06:52 PM

well basically what I found is they canter over the jump because thats all they need to do!! But if he's being lazy and knocking jumps or something ,i would wake him up a little ..or alot right before the jump.Hope I can help!!! :lol:

horselover101 04-21-2007 07:42 PM

If you need your horse to learn how to pick up his feet when jumping, some great exercises include setting up a gymnastic course with small jumps (1-2ft). Then run your horse through them. Don't gallop, but by running your horse at a fast pace through the course, he will learn to pick up his feet. Hope this helps.

futolympeventer327 04-22-2007 01:49 AM

Thankyou for your suggestion horselover but I just spent 6 months teaching him to come in collected to jumps and running a horse at a grid is asking for trouble, especially with a hot 5 yr old thoroughbred. To quote my trainer "speed is never the answer, do not confuse speed with impulsion". He isn't being lazy he just doesn't have a very safe style; hanging his knees ect..