The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   how to: (hope I post this in rite forum) (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/how-hope-i-post-rite-forum-15765/)

nldiaz66 10-09-2008 10:15 PM

how to: (hope I post this in rite forum)

how do you Introduce horses to each other? I have one paint qh now and I am getting a arabian tomorrow, what is the best way to introduce them to each other? They will be in the same pasture.

free_sprtd 10-09-2008 10:38 PM

well, i don't know all the details on introducing them, but i do know that you want to have them (to start) in seperate areas. Then you can move them to seperate areas where they can reach over and get to know eachother. then once you see that they do ok, you can supervise the visit, and if all goes well, turn em loose. sorry don't know much, hope that helps!

nldiaz66 10-09-2008 10:58 PM

ok, thats helps a little, but the thing is I only have one pasture, so I was thinking... putting my horse ( Koda)I have now in the stall, and letting the new one (Pharoah) loose in the pasture because I will be bringing him home late at nite. So do you think they will be ok, I will probably be out there all nite.

free_sprtd 10-09-2008 11:02 PM

ya that would probably be better.....you just have to be careful mixing the two because they need to distinguish their places in the "herd". can the horses socialize through the stalls?

when i brought my gelding to the barn, they kept him in a stall by himself until he settled in for about a week, then they moved him to a stall that was next to another horse, then to the turnout where he could reach over on both sides to other horses. it's a great way for them to slowly find the pecking order.

sempre_cantando 10-09-2008 11:10 PM

introducing horses can be tricky. Just remember that its completely normal fo them to squeal and do a little kicking and biting. They will be ok and soon settle down. Its best not to interfere unless one is getting bullied excessively. Plus, they could accidentally kick you if you get too close when they're being silly.

Cheval 10-10-2008 12:56 AM

Does your horse(s) have shoes on? If so, be extra careful. If they kick eachother, even barefoot, it could be bad. Are the horse(s) dominate? Be extra careful, if so.
What I like to do is let them sniff noses through a fence or something & do this several times (REMEMBER to stay away from their hindquarters and chest-area..you don't want to be kicked or striked at). When I know that they won't bite or anything, I'll turn them out in the arena (or a smaller pasture) and one will have a preferably breakaway halter (just in case). Then, turn them out and let them play around and I'll watch 'em for few minutes.
If everything goes smoothly, I'll turn them out together.
Good luck!

iridehorses 10-10-2008 08:57 AM

Good advise but I would change just one thing. I'd put the new horse in a stall instead of the old one. I would not want a new horse, who is just leaning a whole lot of new things (people, places, horses, noises, etc) the freedom of a pasture on his first night.

The Arab is a hotter blooded horse then your paint and may react to things and noises that your current horse may not - especially at night.

nldiaz66 10-10-2008 12:59 PM

thats what I was thinkin, iridehorses: put the new one in stall.
No my horses don't have shoes.

My other question if ya'll can help me out is... the new horse (Pharoah- like saying fair-row) is on pellet feed that is called 11% reliance I'm not sure who makes it but will find out. I can't found that feed where I'm at, so I was going to pick some up down there when I pick the horse up, what other feed should I switch him over too? I know I have to do it over a (about) month time period. He is 7 yrs. old gelding 14.1 hh, he gets one scoop 2 times a day and on pasture 24/7 thanks

WSArabians 10-11-2008 12:33 PM

Is this new gelding broke to ride?
Are you going to be working him?

Generally, if a horse isn't working, especially Arabians, I would not suggest putting them on such a high protein feed UNLESS they are having issues with keeping weight on.

If he is not being worked, I would suggest slowly weaning him OFF the feed, as opposed to keeping him on it, partly because it will make him more hot if he is not working it off, and partly because of Azoturia (tying up syndrome), especially if he'll be kept in a stall for a bit.

How is the temperment on Pharoah? Is he a pretty laid back guy, a little more hyper?

I would love to see pictures as well! :)

nldiaz66 10-12-2008 11:33 PM

WSArabians: yes Phoroah is broke to ride and I will be working him, once he is settled in. as far as his feed, I could not buy any down there where I got him from, and the old owner said she didnt have anymore to give me:-x.So I had no clue what to do, I went to my local feed store and told them the story..and she said to try 10% feed-pellets, (dont know the name of the feed, sorry I'll get back to you with it) and to give him a handful at a time and increase it a little a day so he doesnt get colic and he is also getting coastal hay,and pasture.I only keep him in the stall at night for the first few nights.So far he is doing good on this feed.:D
Sorry for a dumb questions, but what is Azoturia?
His temperment on a scale 1-10,10 being high, I would say a 4, he is pretty much laid back.