The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Colors and Genetics (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/)
-   -   Is this filly blue roan or silver or grey (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/filly-blue-roan-silver-grey-157650/)

cmarie 03-19-2013 02:12 PM

Is this filly blue roan or silver or grey

3 Attachment(s)
This little filly is 10 months old, this year she is shedding out to be a silver/grey color. Her mother is a blue roan minimal overo and dad was a black and white tobiano. Pictures are of her and her mom at birth, of her yesterday, and of her dad. Mom is black in the winter and blue in the summer, but not as light as this filly is getting.

Peppy Barrel Racing 03-19-2013 02:22 PM

She looks blue roan to me. They can get pretty frosty looking.
Posted via Mobile Device

DraftyAiresMum 03-19-2013 02:24 PM

If neither parent is grey, the filly can't be grey, so grey is ruled out.

I think she's blue roan.

I don't think she's silver, as silver doesn't exist in stock horses (QH and paint). Am I correct in assuming she's of stock horse breeding (daddy sure looks like a stock horse)?
Posted via Mobile Device

Tryst 03-19-2013 02:26 PM

She appears to be shedding blue roan. Often young horses will shed more pale roan than an older horse, so it is quite possible that even though she is shedding much lighter than her dam now, in the long run she may become more similar (darker).

For her to be gray one parent must be gray, and neither of hers are. Also with gray the face will be the first area to go gray and hers is still very dark, which is normal for a roan.

I bet she is going to be just gorgeous this summer!

Tryst 03-19-2013 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DraftyAiresMum

I don't think she's silver, as silver doesn't exist in stock horses (QH and paint). Am I correct in assuming she's of stock horse breeding (daddy sure looks like a stock horse)?
Posted via Mobile Device

Actually silver does exist in quarter horses, though only in a few lines. Silver is usually expressed much more minimally in QH than most breeds that carry it though. However, despite that I feel confident that the filly is roan and not silver. Neither parent shows any indication of silver.

DraftyAiresMum 03-19-2013 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tryst (Post 1957138)
Actually silver does exist in quarter horses, though only in a few lines. Silver is usually expressed much more minimally in QH than most breeds that carry it though. However, despite that I feel confident that the filly is roan and not silver. Neither parent shows any indication of silver.

Interesting. UC Davis says that silver isn't in the stock breeds (just in Rocky Mountain horses and ponies). Not that they can't be wrong. Lol
Posted via Mobile Device

thecolorquest 03-19-2013 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DraftyAiresMum (Post 1957274)
Interesting. UC Davis says that silver isn't in the stock breeds (just in Rocky Mountain horses and ponies). Not that they can't be wrong. Lol
Posted via Mobile Device

There is some evidence the silver mutation in the Quarter Horses may be different from that in the gaited breeds.

Leah in TX

cmarie 03-19-2013 04:09 PM

Yes she is a stock horse she is a paint.
here are the parents bloodlines:
Blueberry Miles Paint
Hrs Midnite Romeo Paint

Tryst 03-19-2013 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DraftyAiresMum (Post 1957274)
Posted via Mobile Device

Interesting since UC Davis was the lab that confirmed the first silver dapple AQHA in 2004 according to this web site: Heartland Quarter Horses

verona1016 03-19-2013 04:21 PM

As others have said, one or both parents would have to carry gray or silver for it to be passed on the to foal. Gray doesn't hide on any color and silver doesn't hide on black, so we can be pretty confident that neither carries either of these genes. The dam caries roan, and the foal is expressing roan in a very classic manner with the head being unaffected, just a little more strongly than the dam (the strength of its expression will change season to season, but can also change year to year)
Posted via Mobile Device