The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Genuine Billy Cook? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/genuine-billy-cook-157762/)

SnowCowgirl 03-19-2013 05:27 PM

Genuine Billy Cook?

2 Attachment(s)
Hi there,

so I'm on a halfhearted hunt for a new saddle. I have an old Kenway Association which I do love, but the saddle is much older than me and has probably 10 million miles on it lol. It's still great, but the bear toothmarks and bit of red paint don't look so great in the show ring... even at a local level :D

I found this in a pawn shop. However, after reading this site: Canadian Saddlery Supply | BILLY COOK SADDLES & STRAP GOODS

... I'm not sure it's genuine. I had no idea that people did knockoff saddles, geez. I attached a picture of the manufacturer stamp. The keeper also has the number "605" on it.

Thoughts?

reigninseattle 03-19-2013 07:13 PM

what does it say on the latigo keeper?

reigninseattle 03-19-2013 07:33 PM

The reason there are "knock-offs" is because in the late 1980's Billy Cook sold the company and his patents to Long Horn Saddle Company with a non-compete clause, meaning he couldn't make saddles under the name Billy Cook for a certain number of years. Billy Cook was originally in Greenville, Texas, so saddles made before he sold the company will say Greenville, TX, and they are genuine. Billy Cook saddles that were made after he sold the company that say Greenville, TX are made by Long Horn Saddle Company. After the non-compete clause was up, Billy Cook reopened his saddle shop in Sulphur, Ok. So the Billy Cook saddles that were made before he sold the company that say they're made in Greenville, TX, and the ones that say Sulphur, OK, are genuine.
Does that make any sense? lol

reigninseattle 03-19-2013 07:35 PM

Although I've heard the "Billy Cook" saddles made by Long Horn are good quality saddles as well, just not quite as nice as the originals

SnowCowgirl 03-19-2013 08:08 PM

Yes it does! thank you. I had just wondered because the website I was on said that "genuine" billy cook saddles will have a manufacturers stamp that included "sulpher springs" or something... so then I got thinking how easy it'd be to make a leather stamp to imitate that.

SnowCowgirl 03-19-2013 08:08 PM

I'd have to ask for more photos because none of the ones I saw showed WHERE the saddle was made

reigninseattle 03-19-2013 09:12 PM

It should say on the latigo keeper :-)

tinyliny 03-19-2013 09:34 PM

It's a nice looking saddle. HOw much do they want for it?

SnowCowgirl 03-19-2013 09:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
they're asking $800, it does have a waterstain on the other side but that doesn't bother me at all. To be honest, I'm more concerned about there being TOO MUCH silver lol. I've never had silver on anything.

It's mostly just me looking and dreaming though. If I were to buy it now I'd have to buy it sight unseen. If they still have it in a month I'll be down south and could look at it then *fingers crossed*

SnowCowgirl 03-19-2013 09:56 PM

it is beautiful though.. and I could maybe get those silly little silver thingies removed from the conchos and have proper strings put on. Hmmmm... haha :)