The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   General Off Topic Discussion (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   Grizzly Bears?!? Rant! (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/grizzly-bears-rant-15785/)

FGRanch 10-10-2008 12:57 PM

Grizzly Bears?!? Rant!

I know this topic means nothing or very little to alot of people on here, but it really irks me!!

So two years ago in Alberta, which I live they shut down the Grizz hunting season. They had heard rumors that there were no bears left! Are you kidding me?! So anyways they got hassled enough fromt he so called "Do gooders" around here and they shut the season down for 5 years well they count the numbers. Why not count numbers with a limited season still open?

So anyways we have had a lot more Grizz attackes then there ever has been around here. Which tells me something, they are far to many bears and not enough feed. I live in the foothills, not far the the rockies at all. Two weeks ago a 47 year old avid hunter was eaten by a sow and her three cubs. But guess what?! He wasn't in the rockies, he was in a heavily populated acreage community!! So not only are these bears moving into the town limits but her three cubs now have the taste for human blood and have discoved that humans are a source of food, you know they willl kill again. This time will it be a little boy or girl out walking their dog?

Kentucky 10-10-2008 01:30 PM

One reason to keep a hunting season for preditor species, is so they will learn man to a danger and will stay away. Attacks by mounton lions are up in CA, no hunting season means no fear. Plus greater numbers means less food per animal. These added togethers means, humans are looked at by these animals as a food source, and a a compareing preditor.

FGRanch 10-10-2008 01:51 PM

I'm so glad that someone see's this the same way I do. I'm not saying there should be a open season but at least a draw or limited open season...

Dumas'_Grrrl 10-10-2008 02:10 PM

That sucks... be xtra careful Tiff!!!

Gingerrrrr 10-10-2008 02:51 PM

someone got eaten:?::!:

:shock::shock:

be careful!

watch the ponies extra carefully too!!

FGRanch 10-10-2008 05:16 PM

I will be very careful! That is for sure. I make sure that when we are outside GR is always in my sights and that my dogs are with me at all times, which they like because usually I make them stay out of the horse pasture!

NorthernMama 10-10-2008 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FehrGroundRanch (Post 164419)
So two years ago in Alberta, which I live they shut down the Grizz hunting season. They had heard rumors that there were no bears left! Are you kidding me?! So anyways they got hassled enough fromt he so called "Do gooders" around here and they shut the season down for 5 years well they count the numbers. Why not count numbers with a limited season still open?

So anyways we have had a lot more Grizz attackes then there ever has been around here. Which tells me something, they are far to many bears and not enough feed.

OH, I know wherefrom you are coming with this! Big time. Out here we only have black bears and maybe the odd brown bear and they are far less agressive than the grizzlies, but since they shut down the spring bear hunt here a few years back we have the very same trouble. We actually shot a sow on our property a few weeks ago (out of season) because she was coming too close to the house and barn. Here we have a law that we can protect our livestock and property from wildlife, never mind the hunting season. But, this has even happened in towns too -- last one was a black bear trying to climb into a kitchen window. Thankfully, there was an experienced hunter nearby who quickly dispatched the bear. The provincial natural resources dept. was trying to encourage us to relocate the bears, but anyone that lives with bears close by knows that a relocate doesn't work.

I'm all for bringing back the spring hunt -- at least that way the meat and hide are used, not wasted. Out of season, it can be hard to find someone to take the meat. We always make sure we have someone lined up before we consider killing a bear. We might have to do another one this fall, but we're crossing our fingers that she will find other stomping grounds after hibernation, so we're hoping to wait till spring for a decision.

My son and I are both licensed hunters and gun owners -- MDH is just getting the paperwork done (had it, but the firearms act upset him so much he refused to do it!). I'm glad we are ready if we have to deal with something.

Snapple122 10-11-2008 03:07 PM

I actually have limited sympathy.
We are intruding on bears' homes. We're building houses closer and closer to where the bears have been living for their entire lives, and they're acting on their instincts. if we didn't live so close to the bear's territory, then these things wouldn't happen.
And the mother bear was protecting her cubs.

Kentucky 10-11-2008 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snapple122 (Post 165041)
I actually have limited sympathy.
We are intruding on bears' homes. We're building houses closer and closer to where the bears have been living for their entire lives, and they're acting on their instincts. if we didn't live so close to the bear's territory, then these things wouldn't happen.
And the mother bear was protecting her cubs.

I know what you are saying, but they were protecting their livestock and/ or family. If that bear had been allowed to come around their barn, it would've found easy meals and came back with her cubs. By killing this sow, others would have be saved. Once, the bears learn humans= danger, they will stay away.

With would you have done if a predator was after your horse(s) or family members?