The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   General Off Topic Discussion (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   Baby Vaccinations (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/baby-vaccinations-15800/)

hotreddun 10-10-2008 05:14 PM

Baby Vaccinations

With all the new moms out there or up-coming moms...I wondered what were your thoughts on the infant vaccination controversies. We gave Sydney the Hep B shot right after she was born...I wish I hadn't actually. I'm not really an advocate of the CDC reccomended schedule...in their own memorandoms on the cdc website they admit that some shots are more effective if spread further apart but they reccomend the every 2 month schedule becuase that is the easiest way to get the moms to bring their kids back in on time...or something like that. Anyway...we are now going with an alternate schedule starting at 4 months and only getting individual shots...no combo shots. I really think the autism link is disproven...but that still doesn't rule out the potential for seizures, etc. from all the toxins in shots. Some of them even have monkey liver cells in them!?! So what are your plans for your newborns?

claireauriga 10-10-2008 05:20 PM

I assume with autism you're referring to an MMR (measles, mumps, rubella) combined jab? Thank God you don't believe there's a link! The original idea came from a biased, flawed report that was deliberately looking for a link and was swiftly disproved. Unfortunately, the idea got stuck in people's heads and gained a credence it never should have had.

Dumas'_Grrrl 10-10-2008 06:01 PM

I don't like the shots...but then I also didn't protest them. I hung my head and had my babies shot up. :roll:

I don't get my horses vaccinated against everything tho..lol..They don't have to go to public school!

Moxie 10-10-2008 06:10 PM

My son is 3, so I'm not a new mom, but a mom none the less. When Seth was first born, our biggest debate was whether or not to have him circ'd. We did of course, only because that was what his father and I had always known. lol.

It wasn't until after Seth had most of his baby shots did I realllllllllly start thinking about all of the different shots and such. I guess I assumed that the Dr's were recommending all of this, so it must be healthy right?

As of right now, Seth is as healthy as can be. So I guess I am neither for or against a mother who wishes to do things differently than I would, or have.

QuarterPony 10-10-2008 07:10 PM

:???: Quite honestly I haven't thought about ANY of that yet... :oops: I guess I'm all for vaccines...but...uh...hmm, never gone far enough to have any REAL opinion on it! To Google! :D

a not-very-thoughtful Maggs

FGRanch 10-10-2008 08:49 PM

My son has all of his shots I just did them really spread out. I did his first ones at Two months,then 6 months, then 12 months, and his most recent ones were just recently at two.

If you don't get them here your family doctor will literally scream at you.

Joshie 10-11-2008 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hotreddun (Post 164640)
With all the new moms out there or up-coming moms...I wondered what were your thoughts on the infant vaccination controversies.

There has been some connection between autism/developmental regression and some vaccines. This has happened only very rarely and it's thought that the kids who experienced this had an underlying mitochondrial disorder (the Hannah Polling case, for example). The United Mitochondrial Disease Foundation (UMDF) encourages parents of children with mitochondrial disease to vaccinate their children. There just are not studies showing the link between autism and vaccines.

On a personal note, my children have suspected mitochondrial disease. We vaccinate. We also get the flu shot every year and everyone (but me) has had a pneumonia vaccine.

News - UMDF

sempre_cantando 10-12-2008 04:17 AM

I did some research on this for a uni assignment earlier this year.

I found that according to reputable resources, while there are risks associated with vaccines i.e. high fevers leading to seizures, anaphylaxis etc, the risks associated with getting the disease are actually higher than the potential for vaccine related complications. Some infectious diseases i.e. measles can sometimes lead to death, even with our current medical knowledge. I highly recommend vaccination to all children who are eligible.

My2Geldings 10-12-2008 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hotreddun (Post 164640)
With all the new moms out there or up-coming moms...I wondered what were your thoughts on the infant vaccination controversies. We gave Sydney the Hep B shot right after she was born...I wish I hadn't actually. I'm not really an advocate of the CDC reccomended schedule...in their own memorandoms on the cdc website they admit that some shots are more effective if spread further apart but they reccomend the every 2 month schedule becuase that is the easiest way to get the moms to bring their kids back in on time...or something like that. Anyway...we are now going with an alternate schedule starting at 4 months and only getting individual shots...no combo shots. I really think the autism link is disproven...but that still doesn't rule out the potential for seizures, etc. from all the toxins in shots. Some of them even have monkey liver cells in them!?! So what are your plans for your newborns?

I work in an office that has been doing research about autism for over 20 years. To this day there is no proof that any vaccination actually causes autism. I would still do all the recommended vaccinations. We have hundreds of scientific publications available on our site that will address a lot of your concerns.