The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Unknown wound-help needed asap! Ingrown hair? Wart? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/unknown-wound-help-needed-asap-ingrown-158042/)

Horsequeen08 03-19-2013 11:18 PM

Unknown wound-help needed asap! Ingrown hair? Wart?

1 Attachment(s)
I see my horse 4 times a week. I last saw her on Sunday. After our lesson on sunday I decided to trim her bridle path and her whiskers. She was fine then and acted no differently.

Today I go out and find this on her. It is slightly ***** and bleeding a bit. It is also "hard" so to speak. I have no idea what it is. I called the vet hoping she might be able to know what it is over the phone, but she hasn't called back yet. My trainer thinks it is possibly from the trim that it was an ingrown hair that'd gotten very irritated. She was just fine on Sunday, so it happened between 6pm sunday and 5 pm Tuesday. I didn't see her yesterday though so I'm not sure what/when it happened. Has anyone ever seen anything like this or know what it could be?

Please help. I'm one of those people that majorly obsess over their horse. One little thing wrong and I panic and try to find out as much as possible. If it isn't better in a day or two, I'm calling the vet. Please let me know waht you think this could be. A bug bite that she rubbed? An infection of sorts? It is so small a thing, but I'm totally freaking out. She is my heart horse and I just bought her three weeks ago.

alexischristina 03-19-2013 11:35 PM

Did you cut her whiskers off completely? Unless you shaved down to skin I doubt it's an ingrown hair... could she have poked herself with something thorny or been bitten by a bug?

Horsequeen08 03-19-2013 11:39 PM

I thought I did. I tried to trim the hair with the clippers off as much as possible. They were really long. It seems like it should be related to that since it happened right after I cut them, but I don't know for sure. The wound is slightly smaller than the size of a quarter.

ApolloRider 03-20-2013 01:19 AM

Looks minimal I don't think you need the vet. Just watch it for a week.

Honeysuga 03-20-2013 08:58 PM

Maybe she got a splinter? I wouldnt spend the bucks on a vet. Just clean it and apply an antibiotic ointment. If it gets worse then get a vet.
Posted via Mobile Device

Horsequeen08 03-21-2013 12:27 PM

It popped on its own and is healing already! I still don't know what it is, but it is getting better so hopefully it is just some silly little odd cut and she won't get anymore! Thanks for the replies, I know it is silly to freak out over every little thing, but I'd never seena round cut like that and didn't want to just leave it if it was something serious. At least it'll heal up just fine, thats what I care about most!

nuisance 03-21-2013 02:45 PM

If you trimmed them down to the skin, it probably is an infected hair folicle, like women get when they trim their uh...nether regions! Or, the trimming may have gotten a little too close and made a sore.