The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   General Off Topic Discussion (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   I want to do something to better myself.. (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/i-want-do-something-better-myself-158066/)

LexiANDCharlie 03-20-2013 12:34 AM

I want to do something to better myself..

Lately I haven't been really happy with who I've been. Slightly selfish and mean...I really want to do something for other people. Does anybody know of any good organizations where a 16 year old girl could make a difference in someones life? I hate always wanting wanting wanting when other people are having such rough lives. Thanks for your time :-)

PurpleMonkeyWrench 03-20-2013 12:38 AM

[QUOTE=LexiANDCharlie;1964562]Lately I haven't been really happy with who I've been. Slightly selfish and mean...I really want to do something for other people. Does anybody know of any good organizations where a 16 year old girl could make a difference in someones life? I hate always wanting wanting wanting when other people are having such rough lives. Thanks for your time :-)[/QUOTE

you can volunteer! I'm starting to volunteer at a therapeutic riding center. or you could donate blood/plasma as well. you can also join the bone marrow registry. i'm not sure if you have to be 18 do register though. it's nice you want to help others, thank you.

LexiANDCharlie 03-20-2013 12:41 AM

I wanted to do the blood drive at my school, but sadly I didn't weight enough to give :( The problem is, I live in such a small town, there really isn't anything for me to do..the older church ladies run the soup kitchen and rarely let people help, I just don't know what to do. I always donate to toys for happiness and things like that, I just wish I could have a more direct form of helping somebody out.

Muppetgirl 03-20-2013 12:47 AM

What are you good at? What are you passionate about? Use it to drive you forward:-). I'm an artist and I donate works to auctions and give proceeds of sales to various charities:-)
Also, do you have a branch of the Cancer Society in your area? They could always use some help:)

“If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito.”
― Dalai Lama XIV

“We need to learn how to want what we have NOT to have what we want in order to get steady and stable Happiness”
― Dalai Lama XIV, The Art of Happiness

boots 03-20-2013 08:46 AM

Helping kids with homework? Listening to beginning readers practice reading? Helping the school librarian reset books or put up displays. Taking on one of the bulletin boards at the school and either featuring talent of the kids or putting up displays the promote healthy activities, conflict resolution, showcasing positive things in the school or your town?

Exploring craft type things and then making and donating stuff to _______, to be given away or sold and they keep the profit?

It would be good for the "older church ladies" to have you help, but I'm not sure if I could brave that front, either. They can be formidable. (Note to older church ladies -- Lighten up, please. You're running some of us off.)

4-H has some community projects, FFA does community projects. Church youth groups do some in our area.

DimSum 03-20-2013 08:50 AM

Is there an animal shelter nearby? They always need volunteers. Or how about a nursing home-you don't need any special skills to sit and read to an elder who can't see or to just listen and be a companion for someone who has no visitors.

wetrain17 03-20-2013 11:39 AM

Just because you live in a small town doesn't mean that there aren't people who need help. Even if you go to your neighbor and ask if they need an extra hand. Spring is here, I'm sure people need help with yard work and gardening soon enough. And what about your parents? Have you asked if they need extra help with anything? Spring cleaning is here, pick up a dust rag and get to work if you can't find an organization to help out at.

TaMMa89 03-20-2013 05:48 PM

Also I started to think about older people.

Could there be some elderly around there who would need help for example with cleaning, house work etc? You could try to find these people via some foundation or advertise yourself.

Do you have Red Cross around your corners? I don't know but wonder if they have some volunteer job?

Taffy Clayton 03-20-2013 06:03 PM

The elderly so often get forgotten about.
You could volunteer for meals on wheels, shovel snow, cut grass, help with the garden or better yet just go to chat. The nursing home or the community center.
Senior year of high school I played bingo with the folks at a very poor nursing home.
It was mandatory for a class I was taking but it was a lot of fun and very rewarding.

Great job, keep posting on what you decide.

Saddlebag 03-21-2013 04:57 PM

For starters, every time those negative thoughts arise, smile as hard and as long as you can while looking in a mirror. Guaranteed to make you laugh and the negative thoughts to depart.