The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Just To Brag :) (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/just-brag-158121/)

Jennakaaate 03-20-2013 03:54 AM

Just To Brag :)

I have a 4 year old QH gelding named Lakota and a 9 year old gelding named Newt. They have been put out to pasture together for the entire winter. Well, Newt is extremely buddy sour, and I thought that he had corrupted my sweet and innocent Lakota. So, I moved Lakota into a different pasture, because working with him in the same pasture as Newt was WAY too dangerous. Once I would lead him away from the other horse, and get his back turned towards him, Lakota would pay attention to me and listen to me quite well. But then once Newt noticed that Lakota was away from him, he would throw an absolute temper tantrum. He would gallop circles around Lakota and one time, he actually threw himself on the ground and started rolling right behind his hind legs, which scared me to death, because I thought that one (or all) of us were going to get hurt. So, needless to say, I separated these two.
It's only been a few days, and Lakota is doing marvelously by himself. I've been refreshing him on all of his ground work, and he remembers everything I taught him almost a year ago.He also doesn't even acknowledge Newt throwing his temper tantrums in the other pasture while I am working with him. He stays focused on me and his job, which absolutely tickles me to death, because I can not stand a buddy sour horse. My older brother is absolutely dying for me to get Lakota broke to ride.
Which makes me very happy,also, because my brother has never showed any interest in riding. But today he just came into the barn,sat on a bucket and watched me work with Lakota. He asked a lot of questions, wanting to know how everything works and why I was doing a lot of the stuff I did (like disengaging the hindquarters). Of course, I explained it all to him, and I even let him mess with my horse a little bit. He put a lot of weight on Lakota's back, and he didn't even budge.
I'm just so proud of my horse and my brother!
Tomorrow I think that I will bring the round pen back to the yard and let my brother ride Newt. :) I wish I would have gotten pictures of him and Lakota working together, but he hates having his picture taken. lol :P

boots 03-20-2013 08:28 AM

Glad it's going well with the horse and good for you for letting your brother get involved. Hope he gets more interested in horses.

AnalisaParalyzer 03-20-2013 08:34 AM

Yay! Sounds awesome. I wish I could get my lil brother to pay attention like that!
Posted via Mobile Device

Jennakaaate 03-20-2013 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boots (Post 1965961)
Glad it's going well with the horse and good for you for letting your brother get involved. Hope he gets more interested in horses.

I hope so,too. My brother and I have never been able to bond that much, because we always had different interests, and because he was 5 years older than me. I'm hoping that he keeps an interest in horses, because it would be AWESOME to go trail riding with my older brother, once my gelding is broke. :)

GallopingGuitarist 03-20-2013 10:56 PM

One of my favorite things is riding and hanging out with horses with my brother. He is two years younger than me. We have a lot of the same thoughts about training,he listens to my ideas and I listen to his.

I am glad that you and your brother are bonding with each other and with your horse! Cherish every moment!