The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Building an arena/ round pen (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/building-arena-round-pen-158193/)

KyMoMoF3CuTiEs 03-20-2013 10:29 AM

Building an arena/ round pen

1 Attachment(s)
So, I have been thinking since I am working with a trainer to teach my children about horses maybe I should set up an arena/round pen here at my home because she is going to be coming here to work with my kids this summer. I don't have all the money now so I am going to buy panels and grow as I buy a panel. Right now I have 7 panels. 10 foot a piece. What do you all think would be a good layout. Any ideas on how to make it great? Could I mix panels with wood? I can get slabs free, and I have a few post to where I could make one end just wood for tie etc. I would like this area to be 40 x 70. And would eventually put it under a roof. Here is the ground I want to put it on. Just to give you an idea. We had a garden there last year so the ground is soft and I will be tilling to keep it dirt bottom.

Left Hand Percherons 03-20-2013 12:50 PM

It's going to depend upon the age of your kids and their riding abilities. If they are only going to mostly walk maybe a little trot and groundwork, you can get by with a very small RP. 40' would be plenty. You would only need 12 panels for that. Mixing wood with panels could be a safety issue. Is the horse going to see it as the weak point in the fence, are the posts sticking up, how sturdy are the panels... Lots of things to think about.

KyMoMoF3CuTiEs 03-20-2013 01:26 PM

Thanks! I do have lots to think about, I went and looked at some of the panels that we have and they are 79.99 a piece for 10 ft. So I have 7 and a gate already. I need at least 6 more panels maybe? Just to start off right.

Spotted 03-20-2013 01:38 PM

A 50' round pen would be ideal :) However it looks like you have plenty of room to have a round pen and a nice riding arena.
I wish I had a nice flat area like that:) I always look online for used posts or panels and i always look for lumber aswell. Have fun:)

KyMoMoF3CuTiEs 03-20-2013 01:53 PM

I think that 14-15 panels of 10ft would be a 60' round pen. Our horse is a 12 year old pretty laid back. But, she is preggo so I would work with the baby as it got older in this round pen too. But, would you make an actual round pen or just a rectangle riding area?

Left Hand Percherons 03-20-2013 02:34 PM

A 40' RP will need 125' of fencing (12-13 panels), a 50' will need 16 panels and a 60' will need 19 panels. I would start with a RP. Gives you a larger work area, no corners for the horse to get stuck in and you can work them easier on a lungeline if they're that small.

KyMoMoF3CuTiEs 03-20-2013 02:51 PM

Ok! Thanks! Now just to started getting my panels. I will need 12 more.

Taffy Clayton 03-20-2013 02:53 PM

I would put up for a 60' Round pen.

PaintHorseMares 03-20-2013 03:41 PM

If you want to save $$s, look for used panels.
Posted via Mobile Device

Delfina 03-20-2013 04:23 PM

If you want to build an arena for the kids to ride broke horses in with the trainer, landscape timbers and non-electrified electric tape, makes a great fence. It's mostly a "visual" enclosure with a trained horse.... if you aren't turning them out in there, they aren't going to be testing the fence but it is sturdy enough that you could turn out for a while if needed.

My goal was an arena that I could safely ride in (I have kids, so the fence is about "you stay out of here" as well as telling my horse "you're stuck in here" if he should bolt) but be able if needed to strip the tack off my horse and leave him to go deal with a kiddo problem. I also wanted enough of a boundary that my kids could ride and I wasn't worried about the horse taking off with them and going for the road.

Shop 3" x 3" x 8' Landscape Timber at Lowes.com

I used 2" tape and just screwed it directly into the wood since I won't be electrifying it. Gates I used treated 4x4x8 wood posts since I want them to be sturdy.

I wouldn't use it for breaking a foal though. I would put up a separate round pen of panels for that.