The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   General Off Topic Discussion (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   Preparing for my first tattoo, advice/experience needed! (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/preparing-my-first-tattoo-advice-experience-158217/)

Klassic Superstar 03-20-2013 12:26 PM

Preparing for my first tattoo, advice/experience needed!

Would love to complie a list of things to ask my tattoo artist once I decide on who's doing it...

Safety is my biggest thing, being as comfortable as I can would be great too:wink:

This is my first tattoo and it's going to go on my left sideofmy ribs and actually be pretty big...

I was told advil or something like that is recommended, what about a muscle relaxer?

I'm super tiny and have no meat on my bones...so I do understand I will be in a lot of pain so I'm thinking music if possiable to help take my mind off it?

Would love to hear your first tattoo stories and advice!
Bring on the pictures as well!
I'm leaving mine a surprise till it's done:wink:

tinyliny 03-20-2013 12:49 PM

Here's my advice , Sam. Don't do it. Skip the tattoo. be a rebel; don't tattoo!
That's my advice. (I know, I am a cranky old lady, and I'm kidding, but I am not)

Klassic Superstar 03-20-2013 01:00 PM

If it wasn't so meaningful for me I wouldn't, I never have been a big tattoo person but this symbolizes a lot for me and as dumb as it may sound I feel like it's therapeutic relase that I need to move on but way remember and be proud of what is symbolizes....

It's not an animal, or name of a guy, it's going in a place that is covered up unless I choose to show it off or am in a bikini and have thought long and hard on it and really feel I won't regret it...

I do very much apperaite your input and totally know where your coming from and thank you for caring enough to tell me how you really feel even if you may think it is not as important :)

Maybe I'll PM you and explain the meanings it has to me :)

ESPIE413 03-20-2013 01:04 PM

Dont take anything that is going to make your blood thinner, even if its a pain killer.
Drink lots of fluid, no alcohol before hand.
Listen to all the instructions they give you for after care.
Wear loose/flexible clothing to the appointment because for the part of your body that you said you were gonna get inked, you want to make sure you can bend and stay in the way for a long period of time
Make sure he shows you hes opening a clean, everything. he can open all of his stuff in front of you so you know where it has been

ESPIE413 03-20-2013 01:06 PM

ALSO
I am very glad you thought about it long and hard because it is going to be there forever. Also I have a tattoo in the same place you are getting one and it does cover up nicely. Just breathe and relax as much as you can. Any other questions you and pm me :)!

Klassic Superstar 03-20-2013 01:20 PM

Thank you so much!!!
Really appreciate all the words of wisdom!

Question- how long did it take for you to ride again...comfortably?
I'm really excited for this and have fully talked about with my mom even though I am 21 lol I still live under her roof and I grew up with hearing no tattoos under my rough no matter who's paying lol

So I made it a point to sit her down and be calm and open to what she had to say about it and she was amazingly very open and we have been talking about every chance we can.

I'm really pleased with the process so far even if I change my mind or decide to wait longer.

ESPIE413 03-20-2013 01:27 PM

Well, when I got mine I was on a break from riding. HOWEVER! I got my tattoo the same week I started preseason for my colleges soccer team. So running, sweating large amounts, sliding on the ground, getting it dirty. ALL the things you shouldn't do right after, I did. However, when I got sweaty, I would change my shirt (brought some to training) so it would stay somewhat dry and keep anything off of it. I have had no issues with it and it looks like I just got it done yesterday because the color is still so bright! But I did wash it every morning and every night. So riding with it? whenever you want. it might bug you if you rub up against something or hit your side but thats okay. Also you can wear a tank top under your shirt and tuck it in to make sure it stays clean :)

Klassic Superstar 03-20-2013 01:32 PM

Wow your tough! ;)
Lol I have sensitive skin, my body pretty much rejected my belly ring lol
So I'm hoping it doesn't reject the ink... Heard of that happening and can't imagine going through that!

I'm going to pm you the idea that I created yesterday :)

Kayella 03-20-2013 01:35 PM

As far as after care, they should tell you what to do. My artist told me to keep it covered for an hour or two, then rinse the area in hot, hot, hot water. For the two on my back I just hopped in the shower and let the scalding hot water hit my back. Then apply lotion every couple hours or whenever you're feeling itchy. The skin is going to peel, so it's going to be itchy like a sunburn. Don't. Itch. It. Whatever you do, don't itch it. Don't scrub it with your loofa or anything like that. It needs to peel off naturally and the lotion will help keep the tattoo's true colors and help alleviate some of the itching. And keep it covered from the sun until it's completely peeled and healed to again, not bleach the colors.

A tattoo really doesn't hurt as much as some people say. It's not painful, it's just annoying. :wink:

ETA: My body also rejected my belly button ring. Literally almost pushed the piercing out of my skin. :lol: I never had a problem getting my 3 tattoos, though. :)

ESPIE413 03-20-2013 01:39 PM

Oh id love to hear your idea! And yeah my body "ate" one of my earrings because it was in a difficult spot but I put in a different metal and it was fine:) but issues with my tattoo! any hopefully with any of the ones I am going to get! haha.