The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   Garlic for flys? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/garlic-flys-158273/)

BigBenLoverforLife 03-20-2013 01:33 PM

Garlic for flys?

Sorry I have been posting so many questions! It just is that time of the year where I am thinking of changing things up for the summer and dont know what to do!

My aunt feed her horses garlic and it really helped with the fly's, and I thought of giving it to Ben. The more research I did, the more I read that it can irrate the stomachs of horses that have ulcers or colic easy. Ben colic's easy and the vet thinks he has ulcers but dosent have a scope long enough, so I threw that idea out the window. Would feeding something made for horses work better, and not cause him to colic? I really just want him to be comfortable this summer and we have fairly bad fly's here.

I was thinking of this, Equitrol II - Equine Insect Control Supplements from SmartPak Equine, has anybody used it before? How effective is it?

Thanks! :-)

spirit88 03-20-2013 02:10 PM

The Equitrol 2 is a feed through fly control it keeps flys from reproducing in the manure unless all horses on the property are treated its a waste of money. It wont keep the flys from bothering you horse.

BigBenLoverforLife 03-20-2013 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spirit88 (Post 1968745)
The Equitrol 2 is a feed through fly control it keeps flys from reproducing in the manure unless all horses on the property are treated its a waste of money. It wont keep the flys from bothering you horse.

Oh I forgot about that, I was told by someone who had their horses at home that it worked wonders... thats probably why!

poppy1356 03-20-2013 04:06 PM

If his tummy is so sensitive why not just use fly spray? And/or a fly sheet?

AnalisaParalyzer 03-20-2013 04:10 PM

Ive heard apple cider vinegar in their feed helps...

BigBenLoverforLife 03-20-2013 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poppy1356 (Post 1969713)
If his tummy is so sensitive why not just use fly spray? And/or a fly sheet?

I do use fly spray, and have considered getting him a set. I heard some really over heat the horse, and some arnt bad. The weather gets up to about 90 in summer. Is that too hot for one? I just wanted to add something else to make summers more comfortable for him :-) Thanks.

BigBenLoverforLife 03-20-2013 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnalisaParalyzer (Post 1969761)
Ive heard apple cider vinegar in their feed helps...

I cant feed a liquid to him, since that would require two sets of supplement bags, and that would make it confusing for the BO. I would soo try that if my horse was at home! :-)

poppy1356 03-20-2013 04:24 PM

If he has a sensitive tummy I would not give acv. You need a fly sheet that also blocks uv rays so like a kool coat brand.
Posted via Mobile Device

PaintHorseMares 03-20-2013 04:29 PM

Keep in mind also that no single product keeps all types of flies away. Flies that hunt by sight (e.g. those giant horse flies) are not affected by any spray, feed through, or scented trap.
Posted via Mobile Device

poppy1356 03-21-2013 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaintHorseMares (Post 1970033)
Keep in mind also that no single product keeps all types of flies away. Flies that hunt by sight (e.g. those giant horse flies) are not affected by any spray, feed through, or scented trap.
Posted via Mobile Device

Oh dear, those horse flies we had this past summer were mutant. Before our drought really hit our area we had lots of rain and temps staying in the 100's. The thing was the size of a hummingbird and one bite left a giant swollen welt for a week on my horse. To the point I actually called the vet to see what I could do. Those and the mutant honey bees that actually chased people and stung like crazy. Nothing worked on the mutant bugs so we had an exterminator out to fix that.