The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Just adopted a rescue! Boney Hips (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/just-adopted-rescue-boney-hips-158513/)

TTristan788 03-20-2013 07:38 PM

Just adopted a rescue! Boney Hips

2 Attachment(s)
Hey guys I just adopted a rescue gelding hes a beautiful Arab cross but when he was found he had severe weight loss. Im told he was at 500lbs. He seems to be doing great now but his hips are still a little on the boney side. Any suggestions on getting these in shape? I've heard more exercise but is there anything I can give him to help?

waresbear 03-20-2013 07:42 PM

He needs more weight before I would be working him.

loosie 03-20-2013 08:04 PM

Welcome Tristan,

Wares, what are you seeing that I'm not? Only pic I get is of a guy lunging a horse & you can't tell anything from the angle.

But yes, if the horse is still skinny, I would only be working him lightly until he gains a bit more. As for what to give him, what's he getting now? It's not great to try to 'pack it on' too quickly. Gradual weight gain/loss is best. I'd start with grass/grass hay free choice, perhaps a portion of his daily ration as alfalfa, and a good nutritional supp. If he's been starved previously, especially if he's not doing as well as you'd hope on a good diet, you might also want to consider ulcer treatment &/or a probiotic too. Obviously worming & teeth are important factors.

waresbear 03-20-2013 08:18 PM

I can't tell in the lunging picture at all, but the other picture, the horse looks underweight to me, and maybe wire cuts on the lower legs?

TTristan788 03-20-2013 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loosie (Post 1972513)
Welcome Tristan,

Wares, what are you seeing that I'm not? Only pic I get is of a guy lunging a horse & you can't tell anything from the angle.

But yes, if the horse is still skinny, I would only be working him lightly until he gains a bit more. As for what to give him, what's he getting now? It's not great to try to 'pack it on' too quickly. Gradual weight gain/loss is best. I'd start with grass/grass hay free choice, perhaps a portion of his daily ration as alfalfa, and a good nutritional supp. If he's been starved previously, especially if he's not doing as well as you'd hope on a good diet, you might also want to consider ulcer treatment &/or a probiotic too. Obviously worming & teeth are important factors.

Well Ive only had him since Sunday. The lady I got him from got him from a foreclosed property. He was tied in the back starving, so she bought him. she had him for a few months then I liked him and bought him I'm giving him Coastal Hay, Purina Strategy, and hes in the pasture. I only turn my horses out at night.

Quote:

Originally Posted by waresbear (Post 1972609)
I can't tell in the lunging picture at all, but the other picture, the horse looks underweight to me, and maybe wire cuts on the lower legs?

He got banged up going in the trailer and some cuts he got before I met him. Im guessing Dove weed sores.

spirit88 03-20-2013 08:30 PM

Yes he is under weight in first pic can see
ribs. He also has some wire cuts on legs one looks recent.iam able too make pic larger so I can see up close.

Dustbunny 03-20-2013 08:41 PM

He's a nice looking horse. He has obviously improved and gained weight since being rescued. He still needs to fill out more before heavy work.
I would have a vet give him a thouough exam. The vet can give you a good diet plan and let you know what kind of work schedule to follow. Also, he can let you know what to look for as far as possible health issues as sometimes horses in really bad situations and undernourished need additional care.
Good luck. He's a lucky boy.
Give him a few days to settle in. It is a good time to do a little ground work and spending time getting to know each other.

JustImagine 03-20-2013 08:55 PM

Have you tried Purina Ultium? I have my Arab on it because he's a hard keeper, and it does really well with keeping the weight on him. It's nice because it's a weight builder, but it doesn't make him all hot and sassy. You're new boy is also very pretty, good luck with him!:-)

greentree 03-20-2013 09:15 PM

To me, unless you know his heritage, he looks like a saddlebred cross, and hay always have kind of racky hips. I don't think he looks too thin to work. He's pretty!!

Nancy

Spotted 03-20-2013 09:15 PM

his hips will be hidden once he gains more weight. Soaked beet pulp may help. its high in fiber