The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barn Maintenance (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/)
-   -   wash stall with heater, or just use a kerosene space heater (http://www.horseforum.com/barn-maintenance/wash-stall-heater-just-use-kerosene-158521/)

wguisbert54 03-20-2013 07:39 PM

wash stall with heater, or just use a kerosene space heater

I am in the process of building a horse barn. I had a contractor do the shell, and I am doing all the interior work. I chose galvanized steel stall kits from Triton (this is going well). Well anyway the reason for the post. It has been cold outside (20-35 degrees F) while my daughter and I work. I got a 75,000 btu kerosene space heater from the Tractor Farm Supply folks and it has kept us reasonably well comfortable. The barn is 34X44 with 10 ft ceilings, and the heater generally will heat the barn to 30 degrees warmer than outside.
In planning the barn, I was trying to meet desires of future owners, so I included a heated wash stall. I am now regretting it a bit, thinking that the space heater would have done a more than adequate job.
I am not a horse person, but perhaps a downside to a space heater is that is does make a fairly loud "woosh" as it runs, which could spook a horse.
I thought I would put this in for the benifit of others, and also get some opinions!

Left Hand Percherons 03-21-2013 10:41 AM

I would never heat a barn period. It does freeze where I live but apart from heated waterers it's unnecessary and potentially very dangerous to run heaters in the barn. Horses generate a ton of heat and if you close the barn up at night it will stay 10-20 degrees warmer than outside.

How are you venting the kerosene heater?

Farmchic 03-21-2013 11:01 AM

We just installed the Kalglo infrared heaters in our wash stall. I've not had a chance to use them yet.

Kalglo Electronics Co., Inc. Home Page--No Counter

PaintHorseMares 03-21-2013 03:12 PM

I don't know anyone that would put a horse in a barn with a kerosene heater. That's an invitation for a fire.
Posted via Mobile Device

wetrain17 03-21-2013 03:28 PM

They make heat lamps that can be installed on the ceiling. I would recommend looking into that if you want a heated wash stall. They are wonderful come winter time. Space heater or kerosene heater is a big NO in a barn. They are a major fire hazard.

wguisbert54 03-21-2013 08:08 PM

Perhaps you miss my point. I installed a wash stall in my barn with a Kalglo electric heater, and all the other stuff such as a water heater, boom sprayer, etc... BUT, the infrared heater over the horse in the wash stall will be used for warmth for only a brief period.
What I am asking/suggesting is why not just use a kerosene heater for the for the same brief period as the electric infrared heater when washing the horse? Of course I would not leave it unattended!
My daughter and I have worked 10 plus hours in the barn with the heater running! We have 10 foot garage doors at each end of the hallway, and leave on open about 1 1/2" of just one of them. We haven't died yet!
I have read that horses do not need heat in a barn. The heat would be ONLY during bathing the horse and the period when it dried off.

Northernstar 03-21-2013 08:22 PM

As stated above, the potential hazard for fire far outweighs any positives here - I've worked in a few very large and nice stables in my state where the weather is considerably milder than here in the north, and people would use the wash stall only in warmer temps anyway. Even so, I have never, ever heard of someone suggesting a kerosene heater even for a brief time. I truly hope you reconsider the idea, and remember that horses are way more residual than we humans in many ways - with proper care of course :)

Farmchic 03-22-2013 08:40 AM

The Kalglo heater should provide adequate heat to dry a damp horse.

Left Hand Percherons 03-22-2013 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wguisbert54 (Post 1972289)
In planning the barn, I was trying to meet desires of future owners, so I included a heated wash stall.

Everyone has different needs but honestly a wash rack would be at the bottom of most peoples list. I would rather have additional hay and equipment storage or an extra stall. Most wash racks are underutilized. Rarely do horses get washed in the winter month because we just aren't riding them as much, they're not sweating, we're not slathering them with toxic bug sprays, it's not hot and humid, we're not showing... On the off occasion we do need to wash them they can dry in about 30 mins by just scraping the water off, towel drying and covering them with a blanket or cooler to trap the body heat.

wguisbert54 03-22-2013 02:34 PM

Hey Left Hand.................

.................. If I were not worried about resale (many years from now I hope as my estate sale), I would have not included a wash stall. I looked at several "upscale" places, and they all had wash stalls. AND, ther DID look under utilized!

...............OK, I guess the concensus may just to not have a wash stall? Maybe this will be a new thread I will start!