The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   weird....... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/weird-1586/)

Jr_lover 04-18-2007 05:26 PM

weird.......

Ok well the lady who owns the barn i go to she is planning on getting a palimino mare that isn't broken and breaking it and then selling it. Well before she sells the mare and stuff she wants to breed it to a friesian. I fins this quite odd. The baby would be my friends horse who is her daughter and i wonder if this would even be a good horse? I think the mare might be a quarter horse i'm not sure but i know they are planning on getting the mare soon. I don't know for sure. I'm just way confused by this all i mean would this really make a good baby? I really don't think so myself.

kristy 04-19-2007 12:04 PM

Well, some friesian x quarter horse crosses have come out decent. What makes you think the foal won't be very well bred?

prettypalfrey 04-21-2007 08:50 AM

I think they should let the poor horse setle in first before knocking her up. I wish people would get to know their horses first. The poor thing is going to need a friend first.

meggymoo 04-21-2007 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prettypalfrey
I think they should let the poor horse setle in first before knocking her up. I wish people would get to know their horses first. The poor thing is going to need a friend first.

I totally agree. :wink:

TxHorseMom 04-21-2007 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prettypalfrey

What makes you think she's not going to get to know her first? She's supposed to be breaking her to ride first. Unless your Clinton Anderson, Pat Parelli, or some such person, you're not going to do that in just one afternoon.

Besides, if she is currently a broodmare, well, that's what they do! When I get in a new broodmare, I give her a week or so to settle in and then they get bred. They have a happy life with lots of pasture to graise on, lots of food, and daily attention. What more could a horse want?

Jr_lover 04-22-2007 08:21 PM

actually i just found out she is a saddlebred and now i really don't know how that would be.

With the quarter horse X friesian cross thing i really don't agree with some cross breedings. Like that with a friesian i just find something would go wrong there. I don't know it just doesn't seem to click as good in my mind. But whatever.

Madds 04-22-2007 08:44 PM

i really think its how the foal is raised is more important than their breeding.

Jr_lover 04-22-2007 08:47 PM

i'm talking gaits and stuff and build theres alot more to it than just the being raised.

Madds 04-22-2007 09:12 PM

sorry i thought u were talking temprement. Yer totally with the gaits and stuff, im not sure how that will turn out, oh well better just wait and see.

Jr_lover 04-22-2007 09:23 PM

i really don't believe in temperment with breeding. I believe thats just how the horses are or depending on how they are raised.