The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Weird Eye Discharge (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/weird-eye-discharge-15862/)

whitetrashwarmblood 10-12-2008 12:28 AM

Weird Eye Discharge

Two mares at the my stables that belong in the same paddock (including my mare) have suddenly gotten some eye discharge. I noticed my mare's left eye wasn't swollen, but had a creamy white-ish sorta yellowy discharge, but most of it was clear, that I had to wipe away. This only happened for, at the most 1 and half days. And then one of the miniature mares in her paddock also had the same thing, but only for a day or two. I looked, but I didn't notice anything wrong or stuck in their eye other than the discharge that I had to wipe off. Could this be allergies? Or something else I should look out for? No other horses have this in their paddock or in the rest of the barn.

NorthernMama 10-12-2008 09:50 AM

Could be allergies -- could also be an infection. I would see about getting some eye drops. Infections can spread. Your vet can probably help you over the phone.

booner 10-12-2008 01:31 PM

My hubbies horse has some discharge too, only saw the dried 'booger' affect the morning the vet was coming to float teeth.The vet noticed it and gave me some ointment to apply to the eye 3x a day for 5 days.

whitetrashwarmblood 10-12-2008 04:07 PM

alright, thanks
:-)

Vidaloco 10-12-2008 04:27 PM

Not sure where you live but the rag weed is really bad here right now. Vida's eyes will occasionally get runny. If its going yellow that means infection you might want to get something from the vet. We keep some stuff called nfz puffer around all the time. Its a power you just kind of puff into the eye for wounds or cuts. It works for dogs and cats too so does double duty. We get it from the vet, but it may be available over the counter.

PoptartShop 10-12-2008 06:22 PM

Sounds like allergies; Daytona's eyes have been kinda runny lately as well. Going away though. :D