The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Relaxation tips (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/relaxation-tips-158625/)

ndistler 03-20-2013 11:25 PM

Relaxation tips

Does anyone have good relaxation tips while being nervous on a horse, especially a colt?

Phly 03-20-2013 11:38 PM

I like to occupy myself with conversation, and use the feel of the horse. I'll talk to the horse, other people, my dang self out loud. I also like music. Good music, not the radio, my choice of music. I also do this when I race cars. It's not a distraction so much as soothing to me. I can ride/ I can drive. But if I think about it too hard I second guess. We videoed inside my race car once, that was fricking halarious. After that I wired it for a radio, lmao! I'm sure there's a better way or a "right way" but if I'm relaxed by music or friendly banter, The screaming devil under me seems to follow the lead.
Posted via Mobile Device

ndistler 03-20-2013 11:43 PM

Well if I was in my own place I may be different but Im in class which is a colt breaking class. Which ive already been bucked off once, but some days I can go all day with the colt and others im so timid even tho he gives no reason to be. Idk if its just because it is a class and Im pressured to do things before I feel ready or is its just me second guessing things. lol

BarrelRacer23 03-20-2013 11:51 PM

I don't get nervous on colts, but I do at shows. Singing to myself has always helped, and seems to help others who get nervous to and I've told to sing. That or just talking to someone to keep your mind off of it.
Posted via Mobile Device

ndistler 03-21-2013 12:03 AM

Ok, Ill keep that in mind. Thank you. Im just a nervous person all the way around so its only natural im nervous riding colts, just wanna know how to overcome it.
Thank you

usandpets 03-21-2013 12:47 AM

Breathe. Seriously, take a few deep breaths when feeling nervous. Talk to the horse or yourself. IF the horse is desensitized to being touched all over, reach all over while sitting on them. Reach back as far as you can and rub the horse. Do both arms, just not at the same time. Reach forward and rub their neck. Singing as some have mentioned helps to keep your mind occupied so you'll stay more relaxed.
Posted via Mobile Device

ndistler 03-22-2013 12:19 AM

Ok thank you so much, and yes he is desentized to me touching him all over while im on him.