The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Tea tree face wipes? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/tea-tree-face-wipes-158674/)

existentialpony 03-21-2013 12:10 AM

Tea tree face wipes?

Hi all! I will have to post pictures when I go to the barn tomorrow, but my horse has been rubbing the area directly under his forelock/in front of one of his ears in the "crease" between the ear and the forehead, and made a sizeable bald spot! Luckily the base of his forelock covers it, for now...

He isn't one for hose on the face (ha, is any horse?) but I want to get some kind of tea tree oil product on there while I'm figuring it out. AZ has had crazy high pollen counts this week (I could barely breathe yesterday!) and so I'm not sure if it is a product of mild allergies or something else like mites. I'm hoping to dig around with a wet wipe and see if I find any buggies.

He doesn't appear to have any other bald spots so I'm thinking it's just an itchy area that doesn't get washed often enough... who knows! Like I said, pictures soon. :-)

Would this baby wipe be suitable for use on a horse?
Buy Aleva Naturals Bamboo Baby Wipes & More | drugstore.com

For reference, I have used Paul Mitchell's Tea Tree Shampoo on his legs before and he had no adverse reactions.

Thoughts? Recommendations? Thanks!

existentialpony 03-21-2013 12:23 AM

And just a note... this horse does have adequate levels of vitamin A in his diet (and has for 3 months, at least). Does this mean that lice and rain rot are not possibilities? Just covering all of my bases!

Kato 03-21-2013 10:52 AM

I use baby wipes on my mare all the time. I just make sure they are the natural ones. She actually really enjoyes her face washes and gets excited when she hears the package.

I use them mainly for the eye boogies my mare gets but she also really enjoys having her nostrils cleaned with them.

existentialpony 03-21-2013 11:25 AM

Thanks! I went ahead and ordered them... I'll try to test them on a small spot first. What is a good site for testing products on horses? Inside of the leg?

Kato 03-21-2013 06:48 PM

Inside the leg on on the belly (not where the girth sits) are both good spots to try.

its lbs not miles 03-21-2013 08:32 PM

why not just get a bottle of tea tree oil and apply some to the spot?
It's in most drug stores. Even Wal-Mart sells it.
I use it for just about any skin problem and even on the feet. A 2 oz bottle is just a couple of dollars.