The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   I am not sure this is the place to ask this but..... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/i-am-not-sure-place-ask-1587/)

Happy Appy Fan 04-18-2007 05:28 PM

I am not sure this is the place to ask this but.....

Can you run a stallion in the same pasture with geldings? :?: I just bought an Appaloosa stallion and I have 3 geldings, 2 appaloosa's and 1 Belgian. I don't want anyone to get hurt. :? Thanks in advance....

Jr_lover 04-18-2007 05:33 PM

i think they will be fine if they are geldings. Hmmm i would say put him with the geldings for a while and see how it plays out of course there will be dominance over the other horses at first some nipping and biting and stuff but in the end if it turns out ok then they should be fine. He may stay dominant over the other ones though so if he is very dominant thats normal but if he seems to look as if he were to hurt one of them then you should seperate them. Of course i'm not exactly sure considering i have not had a stud before and i don't know what all standards there are of them.

Hanna 04-20-2007 10:59 AM

It depends upon the stallion. I have one, and he is really calm, even when he passes mares. We used to have three stallions, and they were all best friends, Be carefull not to put only one gelding together with a stallion, but at least to, so they are in majority. :wink:

TxHorseMom 04-20-2007 10:42 PM

It definately depends on both the stallion and the gelding. Our stallion can be put with most geldings, but if you have a very dominate gelding who constantly challenges the stallion, or if you have a gelding who is proud cut, or cut late, and still thinks he's a
"man" then you may have problems. I would try it across the fence first and see how they react to each other. If that is good, then have a trial with you there available to seperate them again if necessary. Good luck.