The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Driving (http://www.horseforum.com/driving/)
-   -   Driving saddle (http://www.horseforum.com/driving/driving-saddle-158746/)

Ashleysmardigrasgirl 03-21-2013 02:29 AM

Driving saddle

Anybody got any good places to start looking for a good used harness saddle?

greentree 03-21-2013 07:45 AM

Does it need to go with other harness parts? Do you need the girth, etc., or just the saddle? I see harness pieces almost everytime I go antique places in smaller towns. Otherwise, track down some driving trainers in your area, they may have odds and ends.

Nancy

Ashleysmardigrasgirl 03-21-2013 02:13 PM

I'd ideally like the saddle with shaft loops. I have everything else. It doesn't need to be a full harness. I've been around the shops in my own but, it wasn't much use. I've also checked eBay Buy, I suppose I will just need to keep an eye out.

greentree 03-21-2013 02:39 PM

Do you care if whether it is leather or synthetic? Horse, cob or pony size? } will keep my eyes open. I live near a big Mennonite community, and need to go over and see about a crupper.

Any idea what you want to spend?

Nancy

Corporal 03-21-2013 03:00 PM

I've owned a used harness leather harness. I had pieces that broke, and had to do some jury-rigging. Honestly, if you're starting out, I would buy a cheap NEW one, instead, and teach yourself about the "saddle", britching, traces, etc. Teaching "Buster" to drive is on my wish list, so I intend to buy cheap, synthetic to start. If he takes to it--after my Amish Farrier finishes the training--I'll save up for something better, and also have him measured for a collar, since collars are supposed to fitted, unlike a breastplate on a harness. I tried driving about 15 years ago with another horse, btw.

Ashleysmardigrasgirl 03-21-2013 03:14 PM

I've been working with my filly for several months now on driving. Currently she's mastered driving from the ground in a halter. We've been working on serpentines lately, all from the ground of course.Shes been being worked lightly in a smuckers harness which is her normal harness. Though i believe we would benefit from a wider saddle because truth be told, though it is adequate in width, I would feel more comfortable if it were wider.

That being said I prefer leather but, considering it is the saddle I'd be just as happy if it we biothane because I still have my original saddle which is quite fancy as long as its wider than 4" I also need it to be cob, small horse, or very large pony sized, LOL.

Funny you should mention a collar harness because I've been in contact with someone in regards to one that would fit her though I'm very hesitant because I just know once I buy the collar shell change.

littrella 03-21-2013 08:17 PM

There is Carriage Driving Classifieds on Facebook. You could try there.

Ashleysmardigrasgirl 03-21-2013 08:51 PM

Yes, I did post on there yesterday. Maybe something will turn up.