The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   sil cush padded bars (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/sil-cush-padded-bars-158802/)

garlicbunny 03-21-2013 08:18 AM

sil cush padded bars

Does anyone have a saddle ( Bighorn has them, not sure about any other saddle companys offering this) with the sil cush padded bars? It looks like a very good idea that might offer some relief other than fleece under the bars although It realize it will not make a bad fitting saddle fit. It also seems like the wool might be more effective than fleece as well.
(haha, I know someone will mention this so just clearing that up:) )
Anyone have this and if so how do you like them? Just wonder if the pad lasts and any other good and bad commets? Saw it on the BH Voyager trail saddle.
Any thoughts..commemts etc.Thx!

SouthernTrails 03-21-2013 08:34 AM

The Bighorn sil-cush padding is a rubber compound, they have only been out 5-6 years so no long term ideas on actual longevity.

Most people use what they call Fleece, but it is actually a synthetic and is the shortest lasting. Normally white in color, the thinnest of all choices.

The next grade is a HD synthetic fleece, orange in color.

The next grade is a part wool fleece with synthetic backing an orange color. Sometime called Faux-Wool or Faux Fleece.

The Best is 100% Wool Fleece, this is also an orange shade, but extremely expensive, for my money the faux fleece is the best.

The Sill-cush, imo is one of many gimmicks saddle maker use, why not use a Good Saddle Pad for the cushioning effect? Do not get me wrong, for the Money Bighorn has a few Models that are some of the Best off-the-shelf Saddles made today. Like the Voyager, Excursion and Infinity.

reigninseattle 03-21-2013 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SouthernTrailsGA (Post 1977234)

The Bighorn sil-cush padding is a rubber compound, they have only been out 5-6 years so no long term ideas on actual longevity.

Most people use what they call Fleece, but it is actually a synthetic and is the shortest lasting. Normally white in color, the thinnest of all choices.

The next grade is a HD synthetic fleece, orange in color.

The next grade is a part wool fleece with synthetic backing an orange color. Sometime called Faux-Wool or Faux Fleece.

The Best is 100% Wool Fleece, this is also an orange shade, but extremely expensive, for my money the faux fleece is the best.

The Sill-cush, imo is one of many gimmicks saddle maker use, why not use a Good Saddle Pad for the cushioning effect? Do not get me wrong, for the Money Bighorn has a few Models that are some of the Best off-the-shelf Saddles made today. Like the Voyager, Excursion and Infinity.

That's interesting, so how do you know the difference between 100% wool fleece and faux fleece?

garlicbunny 03-21-2013 06:03 PM

Thank you Southerntrails, I knew the light color fleece was not real, mine is yellowish orange so guess it is probably faux. The sil cush material just seems like it might give a little more cushion even on a good pad, but I see your point, thank you for your expertise.:)

SouthernTrails 03-21-2013 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reigninseattle (Post 1979442)
That's interesting, so how do you know the difference between 100% wool fleece and faux fleece?

The Real wool has a leather backing, the Faux has a synthetic backing.

Once it is attached it is hard to tell, but the wearing part is the same, thus why I think it is not worth the extra money to go 100% :wink:

garlicbunny 03-21-2013 09:49 PM

Southern, I just got on your website, AWESOME trail saddles. Also looked at the reviews on your saddles, all were 5 out of 5 stars. I will certainly keep that in mind if when the saddle comes back to us is not right.