The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Showmanship (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-showmanship/)
-   -   Paint Horse Questions... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-showmanship/paint-horse-questions-158898/)

HorseCourage 03-21-2013 09:33 AM

Paint Horse Questions...

I just recentley aquired a Paint Horse Mare, named Allie. And as many of you who saw any of my other posts know that her show name is ICASPLASHOFIMPRESSIVE/ But since I am new to the horse ownership and Paint Horse world, I was wondering if any of you know the standards for showmanship of a Paint Horse. Here's a few questions I would really appreciate if you answered them ! (some of them are related to showmanship some are not)

1) how is a paint horse to set up? (like square or what?)
2) How long should their bridle path be?
3) How long should their mane be?
4) How long should their tail be?
5) Should you compete in showmanship and halter English or Western tack style?

Anyother suggestions and tips would be very greatly appreciated !!!

GotaDunQH 03-21-2013 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HorseCourage (Post 1977866)
I just recentley aquired a Paint Horse Mare, named Allie. And as many of you who saw any of my other posts know that her show name is ICASPLASHOFIMPRESSIVE/ But since I am new to the horse ownership and Paint Horse world, I was wondering if any of you know the standards for showmanship of a Paint Horse. Here's a few questions I would really appreciate if you answered them ! (some of them are related to showmanship some are not)

1) how is a paint horse to set up? (like square or what?)
2) How long should their bridle path be?
3) How long should their mane be?
4) How long should their tail be?
5) Should you compete in showmanship and halter English or Western tack style?

Anyother suggestions and tips would be very greatly appreciated !!!

#1. Always set up square
#2. The length of an ear
#3. No longer than 4" and banded
#4. No rule on this...but a long tail is always nice
#5. Western tack unless you are showing at a local show and they have an English Showmanship class.

HorseCourage 03-22-2013 01:07 PM

thank you ! and so with her mane does it have to be braided ? like is that a rule ? Or can it be long ? She has a longish mane that I love and would hate to cut. But I will if I have to. Like in western pleasure can she go with just mane down, and english have her mane in a running braid?

Roperchick 03-22-2013 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HorseCourage (Post 1992265)
thank you ! and so with her mane does it have to be braided ? like is that a rule ? Or can it be long ? She has a longish mane that I love and would hate to cut. But I will if I have to. Like in western pleasure can she go with just mane down, and english have her mane in a running braid?

it can technically be long but ime judges frown on it. I was raised up always cutting it short and banding it. the only horses that ever got away with a long mane in my classes were strictly reiners

HorseCourage 03-22-2013 01:14 PM

hmmm well right now I am doing a lot of local shows. Nothing really big. Just the local youth fair, and local one-two day shows that are less than a half hour away

MelissaAnn 03-25-2013 05:44 PM

Keeping with tradition shows respect for the judge. A short and banded mane shows off a muscular neck. Use western tack. And good luck!

HorseCourage 03-26-2013 02:40 PM

I still ahte to cut her mane :/

GotaDunQH 03-26-2013 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HorseCourage (Post 2035530)
I still ahte to cut her mane :/

There's nothing wrong with a short mane...it really shows off a great neck and makes a shorter neck look longer. I'm not a fan of long manes because it's actually harder to keep them looking nice. Nothing worse than a long flimsy mane.....

spurstop 03-29-2013 03:11 PM

If you do anything non-traditional, like a long mane, then you are your horse need to be absolutely exceptional.

GotaDunQH 03-30-2013 02:50 PM

^ agree. A long mane shows movement and lots of it. I don't mind a long NICE mane on a reiner because it "adds" to the spins and slides. But I've found that most people are hung up on keeping their horse's mane long....the horse doesn't have a nice mane to begin with, and even longer looks terrible. There is something to be said about a short even mane....it shows attention to detail, it shows attention to a great neck (as I mentioned earlier), and shows you mean business.