The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   "cracking" in her back? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/cracking-her-back-158914/)

HorseCourage 03-21-2013 09:40 AM

"cracking" in her back?

I have a question for anyone who might be able to answer...

So my mare has this thing where I always here this almost cracking sound in her back. I'm not really sure where but somewhere in her back, maybe in her back legs. She just had her hooves done, she also has had her teeth done, as well as had adjustments. The vet recommendded we put her on a joint supplement, so we did, but I still hear the cracking when she is walking and trotting. But not cantering. The vet thought that the joint supplement would help lubercate the joint so that it wouldnt do that any longer but I still hear the popping !!! gahhhh

I have 2 questions

1) Do you think t is painful for her? I worry about working her too hard because of it

2) How long does it take for the joint supplement to make a noticeable difference?

natisha 03-21-2013 09:52 AM

One of mine has that noise in her stifle. Took me a long time to isolate where it was coming from. Vet said it was a sliding ligament. She's done it for 20 years without a lame step.
Hopefully it's no big deal for your horse too.

BigBenLoverforLife 03-21-2013 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HorseCourage (Post 1977898)
I have a question for anyone who might be able to answer...

So my mare has this thing where I always here this almost cracking sound in her back. I'm not really sure where but somewhere in her back, maybe in her back legs. She just had her hooves done, she also has had her teeth done, as well as had adjustments. The vet recommendded we put her on a joint supplement, so we did, but I still hear the cracking when she is walking and trotting. But not cantering. The vet thought that the joint supplement would help lubercate the joint so that it wouldnt do that any longer but I still hear the popping !!! gahhhh

I have 2 questions

1) Do you think t is painful for her? I worry about working her too hard because of it

2) How long does it take for the joint supplement to make a noticeable difference?

It may be painful for her, I would really suggest a chiropractor. With the joint supplement it depends on which one. Some take a week, some take several weeks, my friends took 4 months to see a difference. Just wait it out.

mls 03-21-2013 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HorseCourage (Post 1977898)

1 - does she react like she is in discomfort or in pain?

2 - most feed through supplements start with a loading dose before setting a maintanence amount. Even so, it's about 30 days to see a consistent difference. An injection is much quicker.

spirit88 03-21-2013 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mls (Post 1978514)
1 - does she react like she is in discomfort or in pain?

2 - most feed through supplements start with a loading dose before setting a maintanence amount. Even so, it's about 30 days to see a consistent difference. An injection is much quicker.

To do injections you need to know where the cracking originates in order for it to help. Sounds like op not sure where the cracking is in the horses back. Could be in the hock, stiffles or who knows. So at this point it would be hit or miss with injections.

HorseCourage 03-22-2013 01:13 PM

thanks guys. She doesnt seem to react in pain, and has already had the chiropractor out to see her. But the "cracking" presists. I'll wait the joint supplement out, and see. Just want the best for her