The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   How to Talk With Trainer? (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/how-talk-trainer-158970/)

HSRiders2012 03-21-2013 11:31 AM

How to Talk With Trainer?

I am leaving my lesson barn to go to a show barn. I have ridden at this barn for 2 years and have come to love the trainer, but I have simply outgrown the stable and need a challenge. I need to tell my trainer that I am leaving, but she wont take it lightly. How can I convince her to allow me to leave?

Cacowgirl 03-21-2013 12:52 PM

Allow? If you don't pay, how long would she continue to teach?

Corporal 03-21-2013 01:03 PM

Agreed with above. I don't want to do business with immature people who intimidate, and if you allow your current trainer to treat you like that there might be an argument like you see in Middle School. Honestly, this is a business transaction and you both should treat it as such. Perhaps this person understands business better than you?

Fulford15 03-21-2013 01:09 PM

I was going to say.. Allow you to leave? You pay her!

If your leaving a lesson barn to go to a show barn, good on you! You want to advance with your riding, you need to tell your trainer that you would like to show and have decided to go to a more active showing barn and thank her for what ever opportunitys/training she has given you. When we quit riding with one of our coaches we wrote her a letter (we had ridden with her for 7 years), it was hard and turned kind of nasty but after time it got better!

MHFoundation Quarters 03-21-2013 01:15 PM

If you've outgrown what the barn & trainer has to offer, she should understand. I've had several students over the years do that when they decided to go into a discipline that wasn't one I was involved in. I supported them in those decisions and even went to watch & cheer them on at shows under their new trainers.

Just be honest about it. If she doesn't understand the reasoning then there isn't much you can do to make it any easier. Be sure to thank her for all that she has taught you so far, for giving you a good foundation to build on, etc. Try to make it a positive split.