The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   Eventing Questions (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/eventing-questions-158978/)

RunningJumpingHorses 03-21-2013 10:53 AM

Eventing Questions
 
I'm new to this sport and I have a few questions.

What is the white stuff on some event horses legs?

Should you use rear boots for your horse or is ok to not on the lower levels?

I've seen some people trot at part of a cross country course for break, is it ok to do that?

How should you present yourself in each class like velvet helmet for dressage or not? And all decked out for show jumping or no?

If your horse is new to cross country and your eventing BN level, what are some of the scary jumps to work on?


If you could answer these that's be AWESOME!!! Thanks everyone!!
Posted via Mobile Device

NBEventer 03-21-2013 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunningJumpingHorses (Post 1978858)
I'm new to this sport and I have a few questions.

What is the white stuff on some event horses legs?

Should you use rear boots for your horse or is ok to not on the lower levels?

I've seen some people trot at part of a cross country course for break, is it ok to do that?

How should you present yourself in each class like velvet helmet for dressage or not? And all decked out for show jumping or no?

If your horse is new to cross country and your eventing BN level, what are some of the scary jumps to work on?


If you could answer these that's be AWESOME!!! Thanks everyone!!
Posted via Mobile Device

Basically its crisco on the horses legs. Upper level eventers apply it to help prevent injury when the horses legs brush over a fence.

I prefer having boots on all 4 legs as protection should they knock a fence.

A trot break cross country is usually done if you are ahead of the time allowed as there are penalty points if you come in under time allowed as well as over. Also there are points through a course where sometimes trotting is required should the footing be iffy or you need to regroup.

For dressage you should have your black helmet(if you only have a skull cap you can get a black cover for dressage) your black show coat, breeches, field boots, show blouse etc...

Cross country you can have a coloured helmet cover, your polo shirt, vest, breeches etc...

Stadium should be your black helmet, show coat, blouse etc...

BN usually is just simple logs on the ground, possibly a small brush box. Its pretty straight forward. As for what to school over, you should have a trainer to help you with that as its not something you want to try without coaching :-)

Welcome to the addicting world of eventing!

wetrain17 03-21-2013 11:04 AM

The "white stuff" is grease so the horse can glide over some jumps that it may brush up against.

I'm not opposed to wearing boots for eventing, even for lower levels. But to each their own.

Trotting in lower levels is ok, but don't make a habit of it. Even in novice I would try to prevent it from happening. After all, you want your horse conditioned to be able to run the course.

Lower level tack/attire is more relaxed then upper levels. You can wear the same helmet, same saddle, same bridle. I would still look clean, professional, and wear a jacket.

"Scary jumps" vary from rider to rider. I would concentrate on water obstacles, banks, whatever you feel you or your horse is uncomfortable with.

RunningJumpingHorses 03-21-2013 11:16 AM

Ok. And thanks!! I really like the "dark side". I also barrel race with the same horse haha but she loves to jump and my pony club does this horse trial in may so I'm trying read up on it haha and the stuff I can't find, I ask on here!!! :)
Posted via Mobile Device

MyBoyPuck 03-21-2013 07:10 PM

I'm surprised you've seen riders trotting when on XC. I know, at recognized shows, you can be eliminated for doing that since it's obvious that you're trying to compensate for time. When terrain calls for it, sure it's fine, but if it's just because the rider has been going too fast, that's a big no-no.

At the schooling shows, which is all I've done so far, we usually dress with a nice coat and helmet for dressage, and then most rider wear their XC gear for stadium.

For the scary jumps, all I've noticed is that what I find scary, my horse doesn't. Go figure that! I'd say ditches, water, and anything that involve going from dark to light or light to dark.

Welcome to the dark side. It's very fun.

NBEventer 03-21-2013 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MyBoyPuck (Post 1983618)
I'm surprised you've seen riders trotting when on XC. I know, at recognized shows, you can be eliminated for doing that since it's obvious that you're trying to compensate for time. When terrain calls for it, sure it's fine, but if it's just because the rider has been going too fast, that's a big no-no.

At the schooling shows, which is all I've done so far, we usually dress with a nice coat and helmet for dressage, and then most rider wear their XC gear for stadium.

For the scary jumps, all I've noticed is that what I find scary, my horse doesn't. Go figure that! I'd say ditches, water, and anything that involve going from dark to light or light to dark.

Welcome to the dark side. It's very fun.

I should have been clear on that lol. Trotting depending on footing yes. At some schooling events and BN i've seen trotting allowed. Recognized shows trotting is not allowed unless footing calls for it.

eta - Ugh nvm I am thinking of pre-entry which is not recognized. Sorry... brain fry after a long week *head desk*

RunningJumpingHorses 03-21-2013 08:43 PM

It was on like a curved hill upward is when I saw them trot.
Posted via Mobile Device

RunningJumpingHorses 03-22-2013 09:20 AM

Is it also ok to have like dark navy, almost black, dressage pad?
Posted via Mobile Device

gypsygirl 03-22-2013 10:48 AM

you can trot on xc all you want ! you will not get eliminated for trotting on the course, where the heck do you guys event ?!!?!?!?! what you can get eliminated for is walking or trotting between the last couple jumps or the last jump and the finish flags. then it is obvious you are trying to slow your time. unless your horse is plainly tired then they wont eliminate you for trotting at the end.

if you think you are going to be fast you can totally trot in the middle of the course. i used to do it all the time. there is no where in the rules that say 'no trotting on course.' also sometimes there are mandatory trots, like over a wooden bridge.

NBEventer 03-22-2013 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gypsygirl (Post 1990393)
you can trot on xc all you want ! you will not get eliminated for trotting on the course, where the heck do you guys event ?!!?!?!?! what you can get eliminated for is walking or trotting between the last couple jumps or the last jump and the finish flags. then it is obvious you are trying to slow your time. unless your horse is plainly tired then they wont eliminate you for trotting at the end.

if you think you are going to be fast you can totally trot in the middle of the course. i used to do it all the time. there is no where in the rules that say 'no trotting on course.' also sometimes there are mandatory trots, like over a wooden bridge.

So i'm not losing my mind? I was sure you could trot xcountry but then started seconding guessing myself. I've never seen it unless its been somewhere with tricky footing or slick. So I was thinking maybe I was wrong and it wasn't allowed.

Not gonna lie i've had a 6 year break from eventing and was hanging out in the hunter/jumper ring. Last year was my first year back so i'm rusty on rules as last year I only attended schooling events.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:36 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0