The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Update on duke.. Not better; not worse! (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/update-duke-not-better%3B-not-worse-15900/)

katieandduke 10-12-2008 09:21 PM

Update on duke.. Not better; not worse!

5 Attachment(s)
okay guys, i have gotten many pics of him to show yall.. people have been telling me from here and people that see him for real that it is rainrot, worms, or rubbing..

a little background bout duke..
he got something similiar to this last year at about the same time but it was like sploshes of hair came out at once to where he almost lost all of this neck hair. well it is just like that under his neck but on his mane line im not sure he has never lost a hole glob of his mane and his hair dont grow back that fast so who know when he will get it back... he is due for a worming which he will probably get wednesday. i cant take him to the vet 1. no trailer & 2. no money to......

what people have told me to do for it... one is to use M-T-G(it is helping witht he growth in my opinion) i am using nu-stock right now to help cure it and take it away the hair growth we will deal with later and besides the nu-stock has helped before with hair loss..serioucly it worked for duke. but a couple of people have told me to get some bleach and add water ro make the bleach almost gone(cant think of the word) and anyways put it on his mane and it will go away. is that a good idea? i have heard stories bout bleach being bad for horses and that is helps horses...

the pics are attached mainly becuz they are not urls.. so i had to add them as attachmens..i hope they open! :) and those little rolls on his neck is his fat rolls.lol...my little pig! :)

SonnyWimps 10-12-2008 09:35 PM

looks like a sweet itch to me. Sonny got one...
here's a picture of his: (sorry not the best pictures though)
http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/i...nyHeart006.jpg
http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/i...nyHeart008.jpg

If it is truely a sweet itch, just make sure he has fly spray on as much as possible, then with the spots that are bare, put lots of SWAT on it.

If it's a fungus (meaning if the SWAT doesn't help) then get anything anti-fungle (spelled wrong?) and put it his mane and wherever else

nldiaz66 10-12-2008 10:43 PM

looks like sweet itch, too me to. my neighbors horse has it. we washed it the anti fungul shampoo, putting mtg on it,which is also good for sweet itch and for the hair to grow back and fly spray.

farmpony84 10-13-2008 11:07 AM

I'm w/ the above. us an antifungal shampoo and some MTG. Another thought... My TWH has allergies to bug bites (even regular every day fly bites) it makes him loose his mane and some of his fur. Looks alot like that.....

kickshaw 10-13-2008 12:26 PM

definitely use an antifungal -- i'd even put some athletes foot cream on it

katieandduke 10-13-2008 07:19 PM

thanks for the help.. i am washing him in 2/3 water and 1/3 bleach and i only started it today so i have no idea how it is going to work but a vet told my friend to do that. and he said that it looked likes mites and he had mites in his ear which is now gone.. what can i do about that to keep them off of him??

ahearn 10-13-2008 07:29 PM

With Sweet itch, it usually occurs in different parts of the year. If you have noticed it happens at the same time each year, probably sweet itch. Sweet itch is merely an allergic reaction to certian fly bites. My gelding has it yearly. He will scratch nearly all the hair off his face, chest, tail dock, etc. Nu STOCk is the best I have found to help. But like any allergy, it's just a band-aid. Ask your vet about it and see if he can give your horse any allergy medication. (That's what we did and it is nearly gone..in addition to the Nustock)

GyPsY GiRL 10-14-2008 06:36 PM

I hope duke gets better soon! You need to start gettin ready for those shows! Lol :D

katieandduke 10-14-2008 07:25 PM

ugh i know! and now i cant do dukes mane all pretty and stuff for shows oh well!

walkinthewalk 10-14-2008 07:48 PM

It could also be neck threadworms which, according to this article, is also caused by midge flies whose bite causes sweet itch.

Horse Health: Neck Threadworms

Hope this helps:D