The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   is this a fair price? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/fair-price-15902/)

sydney 10-12-2008 10:12 PM

is this a fair price?

I was talking to my BO the other day, the weather has started getting cold here and windy, she was saying she will put my horses blanket on and take it off in the morning for $60 a month. Is that a fair price? It seemed kinda much to me. I looked at websites for other stables and most of them price blanketing at an extra $30 a month. Im confused.

Also the BO lives on the property, she was saying something about not always being able to blanket and having her friend who stays with her do it or trade with me, if I help her blanket and do other things I could get the blanket service for free.

However I dont know how we would judge what $60 of work would be, for me it could be otoally differnt then what she epects. I have also heard from another boarder that she trades with people all the time and that some previous boarders and her have had issues with this, saying they do more work and she gives them less then whats entitled. So Im kinda worried this could happen to me.

I've helped her out before, bathing horses, tacking up, warming up, cooling down, and untacking and supplementing all the horses when she was out of town. I have only had 1 lesson and her riding my horse 1 time so far in return and have been thinking I put more time into helping her then she helps me.

I think I could work out a situation between me and another boarder who lives closer, to have them blanket for me for a cheaper price. I just wanted to ask you guys first if $60 is a lot. From what Ive heard and experianced from my BO it might be a way of her just getting more money.

ps. also heard from another boarder that with supplementing that she is suppose to do daily, that she doesnt always do it and forgets at times (thats why I do my own) and still charges people as if she does it everyday when its usually only 5 times a week.

I plan on leaving soon by the way, just waiting for that new "perfect" place

SonnyWimps 10-12-2008 10:32 PM

To be honset with you, I don't know.
The stables I board at includes that in the boarding price....where as the last stables I had to do it myself

Gingerrrrr 10-12-2008 10:37 PM

$60 just for that? IMHO waste of money. i wouldnt do that if i were you.

appylover31803 10-12-2008 10:41 PM

$60 does seem too much for just that. If you are able to, I would just do it yourself and not do the trade thing, as it seems it won't be fair to you. But that is up to you.

It is included at my barn, but at my old barn, they would charge you for it. Not sure how much they were charging, but my fiance and I would just do it ourselves.

kickshaw 10-13-2008 08:41 AM

i think she set the price so high because she just didn't want to do it...

and if she skips out on something as easy as giving supplements, i don't see her venturing out to put on a blanket ;-) (JMO)

Dumas'_Grrrl 10-13-2008 09:41 AM

I agree with Kickshaw. It seems as if she has very little interest in blanketing. If it's possible I would either do it yourself or talk to another boarder at the barn and see if the 2 of you can split the duty and save both of you some money. $60 seems high and I bet someone would gladly share in the responsibility with you.

sydney 10-13-2008 09:42 AM

Thanks guys, thats what i was thinking.

My only problem is I can only go to the barn once a day since I dont live to close.

Im going to try and work out a deal with another boarder, maybe I could take her horses blankets off in the morning and she can put them on in the evening.

I cant wait to switch barns

steph 10-13-2008 11:02 AM

Wow. $60 is WAAAAAY too much money. IMO, I would be searching my butt off to find a better place to board. If she forgets to supplement and asks for help doing everything else, I wouldn't trust her to blanket my horse. Blanketing, if done incorrectly, can be extremely dangerous. If she can't do something as simple as adding supplements to feed, I doubt her ability to safely blanket. Good luck finding a better stable!

kitten_Val 10-13-2008 10:22 PM

I think it sounds kinda weird to charge so much for it. Around it's either included in price or you have to do it yourself.