The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   I REALLY, REALLY need a better saddle pad... (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/i-really-really-need-better-saddle-159026/)

Corporal 03-21-2013 12:28 PM

I REALLY, REALLY need a better saddle pad...

for my big guy, left. I've considered gel pads, and I'm rotate between a couple of heavy pads right now that work pretty well.
I watched this week's CA program and he described the idea that went into this pad~
http://downunderhorsemanship.com/sto...0FOAM%20BOTTOM
Has anybody here used this pad? My horse is 16'3hh and easily 1,400 pounds. He is over 7' around the girth and I'm afraid that any saddle my DH rides him in becomes too tight when he rides. (DH is 6'5" tall, and weighs about 250 lbs, hence the BIG horse for him.)
When I ride there isn't any problem.
I don't mind buying this if it really is a superior pad. I like the relief on the withers. This horse has prominent withers, like a TB.
Without being too wordy, I am in the habit of tightening up 3x before mounting, and I like to teach my horses to blow up bc it helps in mounting. When we are done riding, I can get most of my fist in between the girth and him, so we don't pinch him in 1/2.

Corporal 03-21-2013 01:23 PM

I meant it pushes down on the sides of his withers with the heavier weight, just to clarify. I'm thinking that this side would give him some pressure relief that the roper pad and the felt pad, both over 1" thick currently doesn't offer.

Roadyy 03-21-2013 01:31 PM

I DVR'd that episode and watched it last night. Didn't realize it was going to be about his products as much as I thought it was going to be about training when I initially set the timer.

I have no experience with that pad, but have seen a lot of good reports on it. There is another one out that you can add padding into the pad on either side of the wither to adjust the fit as the horse's shape changes through gaining or losing weight. I'll have to try and find it and post if someone doesn't already have access to a link for it.

Corporal 03-21-2013 02:03 PM

Thanks, I'd like to know more about it.

Joe4d 03-21-2013 02:10 PM

oh good grief, what a bunch of marketing Baloney. You have been brainwashed by snake oil salesman. Get a basic wool pad. If your horse has problems its because your saddle doesnt fit. All the g wiz doodad gel this air that whippy whip the other wont change that. I dont see how a saddle can "Become" tight with a different rider, If anything it will get wider, Do you have one of the cheep brand flex trees thats just spreading out completely ?
Assuming you do have a problem its in the saddle not the pad.

Corporal 03-21-2013 03:03 PM

Nope. We've been on really long rides-- > 4 hours-- with our McClellan's with him. I know it's not rubbing bc "Corporal" got some saddles sores from a too-big saddle without adequate padding, and HE got white hairs after the swelling went down, some 20-odd years ago. I know when a saddle rubs, and it's happened to my horses twice in the last 28 years. I'm still in the window shopping stage. I'm using a wool felt or a synthetic felt right now and they are both 1-1/4" thick.
I didn't want to mention the McClellans bc most people don't know that they require decent padding but the shallow tree was designed to fit multiple widths and we have ridden from an Arab to (another) 16.2hh TWH before without any rubbing. They have quarterstraps instead of skirts, and, being made similar to a girth of belt enables the saddle to fit pretty much any horse. I have even seen recovered original 1903's ridden with heavy draft horses. I DON'T want an argument or a lecture.
I've used and have seen used double padding with a regular AND a half pad under the withers for horses that are hard to fit. I have adapted padding for ALL of our McClellans and for ALL of the horses we have ridden them with, so fit is ALSO not a problem. It's just that my pads are aging. I'm in the market for a new one and thought I'd look around. The program spurred me to start looking around.
Joe, what do you like best?

poppy1356 03-21-2013 03:09 PM

I love Diamond Wool Pads. Not to expensive either. Not of fan of the overmarketing, over priced crap.

Joe4d 03-21-2013 09:38 PM

McClellans were not designed to fit multiple widths. They are a military saddle, and the Army bred horses to all be the same so the same tack would fit. Like most things Army, uniformity, all gotta look the same. Your rubs are cause by bad saddle fit, Not lack of padding.

waresbear 03-24-2013 10:18 PM

With a proper fitting saddle, the pad is just there to protect the sheepskin.

LoveMyDrummerBoy 03-24-2013 10:28 PM

^^ This. You should only have a pad to protect the saddle not the horse, if the saddle fits like it should.