The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

My first Herb/Veggie Garden

2K views 24 replies 11 participants last post by  AnalisaParalyzer 
#1 ·
So, I started a garden a couple weeks ago. I bought a 72 seed started green house, and 6 packs of seeds. i got:

parsley, basil, cucumbers, tomatoes, oregano, and rosemary.

I planted twelve starter thingys each.

The cucumbers started first about 4 days in. two little leaves each at first :) and now, its a total of 8 plants sprouted and replanted some of them are like 3' long already!

7 days in the basil started, it staying closer to the oil than the cucumbers, and taking longer to come up, but its making progress day by day :)

at 10 days the parsley started, and some of them are almost ready to re-pot :) maybe an inch tall today, so maybe tomorrow i can replant them.

the oregano, tomato and rosemary are gonna take a bit longer, but im excited :) My fiance is very annoyed with how often ive been checking on them (once i the morning, once at lunch, and a couple times in the afternoons) but there seems like theres something new every time i look!

ive got them potted in miracle grow mixed with Annie poo, and a layer of miracle grow on top to keep the smell from annoying my neighbors when its hot XD the cucumbers are going to have to be re-potted soon, and it was my understanding i needed some kind of standing chicken wire for them? I know i'll need something for the tomatoes to climb, and ill have to trim the rosemary, but is there anything special for basil or the others?

Ill have pictures tomorrow, just gotta remember my camera cord!

See less See more
#5 ·
I feel for you all with a ton of snow, still. Here, the ornamental plum trees are a blush of heavy rose-pink. Daffodils are at the height of their beauty. Tulips are holding off for two more weeks, and the rose bushes have tender red budded leaves. My lawn looks like a set from "George of the Jungle". The Robins have that melodic song that announces Spring. Hummingbirds are starting to buzz each other for mates, the horses show signs of midges bothering their tender parts, the sky has deep dark thunderclouds, then is a radiant blue, than back to the scowls and the wind. The brown twigs of the bare winter trees are pulsing with pink life, they look almost maroon when seen from a distance. my garden is being so rapidly colonized by pigweeds that given another sunny day I shall have to surrender the yard to them. My front lawn is a bed of green moss, a legacy of long winter rains that leach the soil into an acidic soup. When it rains hard, like yesterday, my neighbor children can play with "boats" made from leaves in the gushing water down the curbside drains. My car begs me to wash it. Best I get about that before she puts me to shame.

Welcome Spring! I am so grateful to know you again.

#6 · (Edited)
^lol, I like what you did there, Tinyliny.

Just wanted to mention the chicken wire might cut into the tomatoes when they become heavily in bloom. We use stakes, with bailing twine stretched between them, and we interweave the tomato plants into the bailing twine as they grow. :)

This method works well with-- well, weve planted just about every kind of tomato, including grapes, and spoon tomatoes. It also works well for beans, peppers, or anything that needs support.

How we wrap the twine around the stakes is-- we go from one side to the other-- say we start by wrapping the twine on the left side of the stakes, when you wrap the second, wrap it to the opposite side, and so fourth-- continue up the other side, and do it again-- by that i mean, when you get to the end come back up the row of stakes, and do the same thing.. Kinda a lot of work, but totally worth it.

Reactions: Foxhunter
#8 ·
I'll have pic up as son as i get back from lunch, the manchild NEEDED my camera cord for god knows what.

sorry saddlebag, im just excited! and tiny, i have no idea if i can keep a plant growing, so dont go too fast!

Thank you toto!!! the tomatoes havent sprouted yet, but ill have to do something like that for the cucumbers at some point right? i have "big boy" tomatoes :) the name made me giggle.

Im going to be giving a couple of my sproutlings as Easter presents, but hopefully im going to have an awesome little garden soon!

#10 ·
got it, here y go!!!

tall ones are the cucumber :) and the other potted ones are cilantro.

the one still i the seeder is parsley.

o i fibbed a bit, no oregano. tomato, cucumber, basil, rosemary, CILANTRO and parsley. ;)

and the last pot is my wildflowers!!

Attachments

#11 ·
I've just spent the past hour shovelling snow. The feed pans had disappeared beneath the snow so part of my labors was to dig them out today. I tie them to the fence so they pretty much stay put. It was nice to spend some time with the horses in the glorious sunshine. A snow bank built up in front of the pasture gate so I've been working on that. The hay man comes this weekend. The snow is sticking to the shovel so I'll WD it before I go back out.

#14 ·
Good for you!
There is nothing like eating home grown veggies.

I grow my tomatoes in grow bags but, I cut holes in the bottom of the bags standing the bag on a large flower pot filled with rotted manure and stand that in a bucket filled with water. Tomatoes love water and by keeping the roots in water makes for softer skins.

Tomatoes, unless the bush variety, need to have their 'armpits' picked. This is when they start growing there is a a new shoot starting where the first shoot leaves the main stem, these need picking off for a strong plant.

Cucumbers do not like to much water.

Another tip is if you get greenfly plant some marigolds in the same bags as this deters the fly.

#18 ·
thank you fox, ill try to remember that!! having the cucumbers outside in fl means sometimes they will get VERY wet, but im thinking maybe cutting out the bottom of their pots and putting a 1/4in netting ball on the bottom of them? like a roomier root ball? that way they'll drain well....
whats greenfly?

i had no idea you could grow popcorn!!!! i am gonna have to try that!!!

#22 ·
Just showing you what your rosemary can do if you "let it go". I had a baby that I put in one of those big mineral lick buckets. I do absolutely nothing with it, I never water it or anything. It's huge! I love it though, and it smells so good. We trim it occasionally and dry the rosemary for ourselves and others. Fresh rosemary is the best.

Shrub Terrestrial plant Toy Street light Subshrub

#24 ·
I wish I could tell you the secret, but I really don't know. Several years ago we started one (in some of those busted pots actually) and when we decided we didn't want the potted herbs there I stuck the rosemary in the mineral bucket and wished it the best of luck. Less is more with them it seems because you can see that it is doing well, lol.

#25 ·
I wish mine would grow!! my rosemary is the tiny sprout in the far right mini-pot, the three good lookin ones are my tomatoes, of which there is only one left, thanks to a freaking monsoon! the big ones are my cucumbers, which are doing AWESOME. the cucumbers are like, 2 inches long, some of em. others are still just starting. So excited!

and, as you can see, my cilantro is thriving. my parsley, not so much :/ And i have 2 kinds of basil!!! i thought i jsut bought weet basil, but it definitely looks like ive got some italian in there too.....

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.