The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeds (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/)
-   -   Needing help (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeds/needing-help-15911/)

jfarmboy 10-13-2008 12:55 AM

Needing help

Hello i'm new to posting and a new horse owner. I use to ride alot 35 yrs ago, I just started riding again and stupidly went out and bought a 6 yr old thoroughbred, when he trots or canters I cannot stay in the saddle, most because i'm only 155lbs. took a lesson today and my trainer said my sitting was correct and that i would have to live with this or get a different horse. I've only had the horse three weeks, he is good on trails and is a typical horse trying to get away with things if you let him, any sugestions??:roll:

Jubilee Rose 10-13-2008 01:10 AM

Hi and welcome to the horseforum!

Sounds like you have a lot of questions concerning your horse and I don't know if I can really address it all. If you've only had him for three weeks, give it more time. You're still new at this and getting used to owning a horse. Spend lots of time with him, grooming, taking care of him, etc. Just get to know him, his personality, quirks, soft spot to rub. Leave the undersaddle work in the background for now and focus on some groundwork such as lunging. Start establishing a relationship of trust and respect through lots of quality time. Maybe have a trainer start working/schooling your horse as well? Hope this helps. Good luck!

NorthernMama 10-13-2008 08:24 AM

I agree -- give it more time. And I don't understand what your weight would have to do with your ability to sit a trot or canter. I'm only 125lbs and ride a 17.3 hh mare. She has a smooth trot (haven't cantered her yet). My 14.5 hh mare has a terribly rough stride in any gait, but I have learned to sit her anyway. Also, if you are just back into this, don't forget you need to redevelop those riding muscles! Time, time, time... I think your trainer is wrong that you will have to "live with it or get another horse." Sounds like very closed-thinking to me.

Also, maybe the saddle is too big for you? If you can, try some other saddles and see if you can find one that fits you AND the horse.

kickshaw 10-13-2008 08:36 AM

also, ask your trainer to teach you how to post :-) It will help tremendously with the bounciness of the trot!

irisheyes12 10-13-2008 11:58 AM

I would never recommend a Thoroughbred as a first time horse for anyone. :???:

Quote:

Originally Posted by kickshaw (Post 165909)
also, ask your trainer to teach you how to post :-) It will help tremendously with the bounciness of the trot!

I agree!

Curly_Horse_CMT 10-13-2008 01:47 PM

First time

Quote:

Originally Posted by irisheyes12 (Post 166037)

I agree!

All depends on the personality and that personal horse. Anyways...

Yeah, just give it some time. I totally agree with what has been told to you in the posts above. It takes a while to get used to a new horse, and vice versa. Give time just getting to know the horse by doing ground work and just basic things such as grooming, handing on lead, feeding ect. Work with your trainer and look up on how to post. That will help greatly, as said before. My curly mare has a REALLY bad trot because she has higher shoulders and a very high stepper gait. Posting has really helped me with this, or just standing up on the stirrups even. Good luck!! :D

My2Geldings 10-13-2008 02:48 PM

First off your weight has nothing to do with how well you sit the different gaits; second it's about the way you ride your horse. Bouncing in the tack usually has to do with how stiff or relaxed you are in the tack. Doing non stirrup work and doing some riding on a lunge line will help you balance yourself and improve your seat.
Selling your horse would not fix the problem as the problem is in your position. You would have the same problem with another horse.

It's something all of us has to work on.

jfarmboy 10-13-2008 08:32 PM

Thanks,youve been helpful, my partner got on my horse today and said he was much more springy than his.

Dumas'_Grrrl 10-13-2008 09:10 PM

Your back and butt and core muscles are all going to have to "remember" how to flow with the horse.

The first few times I rode my horse after getting back into it after a 20year on and off relationship with horses...I thought I was going to lose all the fillings in my mouth and I won't even go into the hysterics my hubby was commenting on about my front side! :oops: :roll:

Give your body time to adjust and you'll eventually get that tush to stay put deep in the saddle!!!

Don't brace yourself against the horse...let the lower 6-8 inches of your spine "roll" with the horse. Loosen up your hips...it's a dance...Flow with your joints, don't clamp down. Pretend or actually put a $10 bill under your butt. You'll figure out how to roll instead of bounce!!! If that doesn't help, up the bill to a $20! I guarantee you'll figure it out before you hit a $100!!!! :wink:

By the way, Congrats on your new horse and Welcome to Horse Forum!!!!

Jubilee Rose 10-13-2008 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irisheyes12 (Post 166037)

Not trying to argue, but why do you say that? My horse is a tb and she's my first horse. I wouldn't trade her for anything else in the world. ;)