The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   mule mane (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/mule-mane-159202/)

SMMJessee 03-21-2013 06:38 PM

mule mane

2 Attachment(s)
hello, my mule jessee has some pretty funky mane and show season is coming so i want to figure out a way to making it grow longer without sticking up.
I do not want to roach it i would like to have it 6" long and down any tips apreciated :lol:
thank you
megan

Endiku 03-21-2013 06:44 PM

Unfortunately its almost unheard of (though it does happen sometimes) to see a mule with longer mane that yours has right now, and there really isn't a way to make it grow. Its the donkey gene in them that causes the mane to be so short.

Most owners who show their mules hog their mane, but if you don't do that I would just cut it all even, maybe 2-3" tall.

SMMJessee 03-21-2013 09:04 PM

Quote:

Unfortunately its almost unheard of (though it does happen sometimes) to see a mule with longer mane that yours has right now, and there really isn't a way to make it grow. Its the donkey gene in them that causes the mane to be so short.

Most owners who show their mules hog their mane, but if you don't do that I would just cut it all even, maybe 2-3" tall.
ive also heard that too but we do have a young female mule that has pretty long mane, do you think his mane is long enough to put in bubbles braids?

Endiku 03-21-2013 09:27 PM

You could always try it and see!

SMMJessee 03-21-2013 09:52 PM

Maybe MTG will help...

acorn 03-21-2013 10:12 PM

Why don't you want to roach it? I always kept my mules roached and thought he looked simply beautiful.
:)

SMMJessee 03-22-2013 12:01 AM

Well actually I wouldn't mind reaching it but my mom refuses to let me. She likes putting in the braids and bands because apparently it looks more "professional":?