The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   General Off Topic Discussion (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   Re-waterproofing (with beeswax) (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/re-waterproofing-beeswax-159290/)

Lexiie 03-21-2013 07:40 PM

Re-waterproofing (with beeswax)

So I decided I would try this out on my used-to-be waterproof tailbag.
It DEFINITELY works, though it looks and feels kind of odd afterwords. (like wax)
I think I may have used too much, or didn't dry it out enough, but it's waterproof.

I had a little candle made of beeswax, so i pulled out the wick and melted it in the microwave in a ceramic bowl. It took like five minutes or so.
I painted it onto the tailbag using an old paintbrush, it sucked it up, but it dried out into a layer of wax. Then I took the hairdryer to it, and melted it all down again, it started to go away. When I was finished, I went to open the bag and it was stuck together -__-
Stupid me, didn't put news paper INSIDE the bag! So I stuffed it up and then went over it again with the blow dryer. Now it looks a lot better.

If you ever want to do this, just do the bare minimum first. It took my almost 45 minutes to get it to look not like a coating of wax xD
(if it's a velcro bag, don't get the wax in the velcro. I did, and it's still not all out!)

toto 03-21-2013 08:00 PM

Would something like a scotchguard waterproofing spray work, or does it wear off due to the mud?

Lexiie 03-21-2013 08:31 PM

I really have no idea!
I've always contemplated buying something like that to redo my blankets, but it's a lot of work, and washing and drying, yeah. I'm not going to put my blankets into my washer or dryer. They'd explode! lol

Lexiie 03-21-2013 08:32 PM

It's an odd thing, but I've used wood/deck sealant on my snowpants. They're waterproof for sure now! lol
Smells kinda funky at first, but it goes away

toto 03-21-2013 08:33 PM

You might could just scrub them with an old horse grooming brush, and some kind of horse safe cleaner then rinse and hang dry.. once dried you can scotchguard spray.

Lexiie 03-21-2013 09:46 PM

I'm still too scared, after ruining one with just water. It's not waterproof. At all. After being rinsed with plain water, maybe it's something in our water O.o

toto 03-21-2013 10:00 PM

water shouldnt ruin somethin water proof.. maybe you got a lot of chlorine? City water, right?

Lexiie 03-22-2013 10:12 AM

No, well water.
Both at the barn as well as at my house

Missy May 03-22-2013 11:44 PM

I wanted to waterproof a few things including my horseshoe boots, and my brother told me about this stuff called ultra ever dry. It is pretty darn pricey for just "this and that", but the videos on it are amazing!!!

Lexiie 03-22-2013 11:47 PM

RIGHT?! I was looking at the stuff
Posted via Mobile Device