The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Shut up! (not any one you know) (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/shut-up-not-any-one-you-159362/)

speidel 03-21-2013 09:19 PM

Shut up! (not any one you know)

I am getting my mare back up to her ideal lbs and i am doing it by beetpulp/grain/alfaa pellets and free feeding hay.
I have told two diffrent ppl that i AM NOT GOING TO FEED HER BREAD! I have been rude about it. I have seen a horse choke on it, so no. I know that it can also cauze colic. I know it will work IF you let it dry out and you can look it up. i always look at it if you want to lose lbs and do it fast it comes back faster, and gaining it is the same way slow and steady.
sorry just got donetelling them for the umteeth time she is mine i am doing it my way.

Allison Finch 03-21-2013 09:24 PM

Bread?

Never heard that one.

COWCHICK77 03-21-2013 09:25 PM

I have never heard that one either...

NBEventer 03-21-2013 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allison Finch (Post 1985386)
Bread?

Never heard that one.

Really? Its an old school thing. My great uncle used to feed it to his show clydes. I have never fed it, nor will I ever. There was a riding school here back in the late 80's early 90's that fed their school horses bread too. Oddly enough they had a higher then average colic rate...

Muppetgirl 03-21-2013 09:33 PM

When I was a kid I'd always take a slice of bread to the hunting mare I used to exercise for a local lady:wink:

One slice won't hurt.......but a whole loaf, well if anyone eats too much bread I could imagine them spending hours sitting on the toilet.......:wink:

Rachel1786 03-21-2013 09:42 PM

Mhmm, I would think it would be very high in sugar and carbs with the amount I would assume u would have to feed, could that easily cause laminatis or founder?

speidel 03-21-2013 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rachel1786 (Post 1985594)
Mhmm, I would think it would be very high in sugar and carbs with the amount I would assume u would have to feed, could that easily cause laminatis or founder?

i am NOT a vet but I do think so..

apachiedragon 03-21-2013 09:47 PM

My sister's ex husband used to feed bread to all his animals. The horses, goats, chickens, etc. He'd get stale bread from the local bakeries by the pick up truck load. It used to drive me NUTS. He was a "good ol' country boy" and was sure he knew absolutely everything about everything and you couldn't teach him anything. So its nothing new to me, even though its not good horsekeeping.

clippityclop 03-21-2013 09:55 PM

The diet you have her on is perfect. Now all she needs is time to metabolize the calories and pack on the lbs!

spirit88 03-21-2013 10:37 PM

Feeding breed to horses is nothing new i knew someone who fed it 4 or 5 loafs a day instead of grain. Couldnt tell them a darn thing he knew it all the horse survived and never foundered or coliced on this diet. He did get hay too though.