The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Tack and Equipment Classifieds (http://www.horseforum.com/tack-equipment-classifieds/)
-   -   Saddle Pad Question (http://www.horseforum.com/tack-equipment-classifieds/saddle-pad-question-15942/)

Moxie 10-13-2008 02:14 PM

Saddle Pad Question

A couple of questions actually:

What is a standard size of a saddle pad?

How much would you pay for 2 Air Ride saddle pads?

Is Professionals Choice SMX Air Ride saddle pads a good brand?

iridehorses 10-13-2008 02:32 PM

30X30 is the absolute smallest I would consider using. I prefer 32x32 or would consider 32x34.

Professional Choice makes some good pads but I prefer a 100% 1" natural wool contour pad. The wool does the best job for wicking moisture and cooling my horse's back and it conforms the best of all the pads. I've used the type with "memory foam" but it just doesn't do the job that wool does.

This is a good website for wool pads but Reinsman also makes a nice one for under $100 I think.: Saddle Pads & Blankets, Wool Saddle Pads & Blankets: 5 Star Saddle Pads

This is an excellent article about pads: Saddle Pads and What Manufactuers Don't Tell You!

Moxie 10-13-2008 02:35 PM

Great information, Thank you.

JustDressageIt 10-13-2008 08:31 PM

I do really like the Pro Choice brand. (As you know, I work in a tack shop, and see a lot of stuff come through.)
HOWEVER... I'd imagine that the wool back would become compressed fairly easily if it wasn't cared for properly.
I personally prefer a memory foam pad.
Anyways, they retail for quite a hefty price, I'll double check next time I'm at the store.

Moxie 10-13-2008 08:36 PM

They retail for 139 or so. I can get 2 (one slightly used) for 150.00

iridehorses 10-13-2008 09:03 PM

JDI, my wool pad has over 1,000 hours under my western saddle with no loss of effectiveness. The only care I give it is once per month I spritz it with water and brush it clean. I do give it a light brushing inbetween spritzing just before I ride. - love that pad!

Royal Freckles 10-13-2008 09:13 PM

I love wool pads too. The problem I have found with memory foam, at least here in Texas where it gets hot and humid, is that it really holds heat more and the horses back gets hotter than with wool. It may not be so bad if you live somewhere where it is cooler though.